General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
FLBikerchick
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Counter steering

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Went for a ride yesterday, and thanks to who ever brought this up, I found myself actually thinking about it. The more I thought about it, the more awkward I felt....pretty much the same as when I first started to ride.

You don't even realize that you're even doing it, until you think about it. Best to to just NOT think about it!!!! Kinda like verbally learning how to balance on one foot. The more technical you think about it, the worse it is. Your brain just can't process words and instructions fast enough...you have to do it by feel.
I was exactly the opposite. When I was first learning, the idea of leaning scared the crap out of me, because I got distracted by the idea of falling instead. Then I took the MSF course and learned about countersteering. Concentrating on countersteering, I forgot to think about falling, and immediately improved my turning ability.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gyro effect? Isn't that what used to happen with the rotary engine Suzuki

Old 03-30-2007, 04:38 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're traveling at street speed and change directions you are countersteering whether you know it or not. The only way not to countersteer is to go straight andyou would probably end up in a wreck.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont think about it, it just comes natural. If you dont do it youll be over the bank.
ORIGINAL: One_Lost_Hippie

Just getting back into riding...learning about counter steering.....any good suggestions on how well this works ?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 AM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang! After 6 years of riding I am not sure if I really know how. After 20K on bikes do yall think I would benefit from the MSF course? Beginner or experienced?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: chopperz71

Dang! After 6 years of riding I am not sure if I really know how. After 20K on bikes do yall think I would benefit from the MSF course? Beginner or experienced?
If you're being serious, take the experienced course. The basic course is designed for people who have never sat on a motorcycle before.

If you're not being serious that's o.k.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time you are taking a curve with any speed at all you are countersteering whether you realize it or not right now. You cannot turn without it (once you are at 7 0r 8 mph or up.)

Once you realize it and you do it deliberately, you will have sharper cornering and deeper leans. It is a hell of a lot of fun! I love twisties!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

some yrs ago my wife was taking our son to school on the sporty 1st grade. when a car came across the yellow line a littel this scared her and she let off the gas witch caused the bike to stand up,they went off the top of the corner and wiped out!!allthough counter steering is natural, one needs to know that some times it is a forced ishue and and will require more input than expected.i then took her out to some twistys and showed her afew things, also to trust your tires and sometimes you have to gas on it!! (ps) on that day they were not hurt lots of peopel had stoped, my son was cryin allitel but still bucked up and toldhis mom PICK UP THE BIKE!!!thats my littel man...

Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the only time i can tell that i am doing it is when i am in the dirt or gravel other than that its all nat chur l

Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Any time you are taking a curve with any speed at all you are countersteering whether you realize it or not right now.
No, only for turn initiation, mid turn steering corrections, and standing the bike back up exiting the turn. The rest of the time, you are turning without any steering input at all, unless your bike's steering geometry is jacked up, or the tires are shot or underinflated.

Quick Reply: Counter steering