General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Counter steering

I might add another ten cents here. Actually there ae 2 schools.
1. You basically turn with countersteering. what it does that it inclines the bike towards the turn and the bike follows a curved path
2. You turn by body steering. in other words use body weight to ? affect CG, and then the bike will incline to make the turn.

I believe countersteering is number one and of course body steering is also playing an important role.

thenk you eyespy. I wonder if it is your language or a quote from a text? no punch intended

Old 09-30-2006, 02:26 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dancemax

1. You basically turn with countersteering. what it does that it inclines the bike towards the turn and the bike follows a curved path
2. You turn by body steering. in other words use body weight to ? affect CG, and then the bike will incline to make the turn.

I believe countersteering is number one and of course body steering is also playing an important role.

thenk you eyespy. I wonder if it is your language or a quote from a text? no punch intended

There is no body steering on a bike. its all done with your hands.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifting body weight only affects the CG, which when done properly allows the bike to corner with less lean angle. Basically you are just using your own body as a counterweight. It's a good technique when exploring the limits of traction.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:22 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: Peekaboo Bob

Shifting body weight only affects the CG, which when done properly allows the bike to corner with less lean angle. Basically you are just using your own body as a counterweight. It's a good technique when exploring the limits of traction.
Exactly, it will provide the abillity to turn the bike in a tighter turn with less lean angle.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this called counterbalancing

Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Went for a ride yesterday, and thanks to who ever brought this up, I found myself actually thinking about it. The more I thought about it, the more awkward I felt....pretty much the same as when I first started to ride.

You don't even realize that you're even doing it, until you think about it. Best to to just NOT think about it!!!! Kinda like verbally learning how to balance on one foot. The more technical you think about it, the worse it is. Your brain just can't process words and instructions fast enough...you have to do it by feel.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

This is my own language.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Counter steering is something that you are doing anyway, without realizing it.

But once you learn what you are allready doing by instinct, you can refine it even further.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd

There is no body steering on a bike. its all done with your hands.

True

Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 PM
84sugar
Advanced

Now to really have fun, take your newly found skill of "countersteering" and throw in some "delayed apex cornering" and your on your way to carving through the twisties like never before. Not for the faint of heart or those who ride like they have kids in college.

Quick Reply: Counter steering