General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing Temperature Control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gerbing Temperature Control?

Got the Gerbing jacket liner for Christmas & can't wait to try it. The question is; since I already had the Gerbing G3 gloves with a single controller, is it necessary to get the dual controller? I know that I at least need the splitter. Does the dual controller make that much difference or can you get by with the single and the splitter? Do you need that much temprature difference between the liner and the gloves? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 AM
pearlwhite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the Gerbing liner and gloves for Christmas too, but I also got the dual controller based on several others advice. I have riden a few times with the gear and I find I am adjusting the jacket setting more often than the gloves depending on the type of outerwear that I have on and the speed at which I am traveling. If you decide in the future to add the pant liner, I think the dual controller would be better. Just my experience.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,798 Likes on 535 Posts

If you don't buy it now, you will later.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 AM
dyna-rider
Cruiser

Thanks. That's what I thought, but just want to get other opinions. May as well get it now and not end up with a splitter I won't need or use.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I got my HD branded Gerbings, either the gloves or the liner came with a "Y" connector. But as others have said you may want to get the dual controller (less wiring on the inside to deal with).

Old 12-26-2010, 10:56 AM
obonaven
Road Master

I would try to use what you have first and see what you think. I have a pair of Gerbing gloves and only use an on/off switch. People have been telling me for two years now that I NEED a controller. Funny thing is I'm the only one who disagrees with that.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a dual controller. Never tried the single but you will probably want more heat for the hands and a lot less for the vest so you will need the dual controller. The on off switch may work but who needs to fumble with it constantly while riding? With the controller you set it and forget it.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM
10ring
Road Captain

I got the Gerbings jacket liner, gloves, and dual controller all at the same time. Just to give it a try once, I used a single control for both jacket and gloves. In an air temp of 23°F and at a speed of 65-75MPH, in order to keep my hands warm enough the **** had to be turned up so high that the jacket was overheating me. While there are worse problems to have in that kind of weather, it did drive home the advantage of the dual type controller.
By the way, even in temperatures down into the low 20's the controls have never needed to be turned up all the way. The heat these garments can generate is incredible. You will enjoy having them when you ride.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there only a $40.00 difference between the single and dual controller?

Old 12-26-2010, 05:12 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna-rider
Got the Gerbing jacket liner for Christmas & can't wait to try it. The question is; since I already had the Gerbing G3 gloves with a single controller, is it necessary to get the dual controller? I know that I at least need the splitter. Does the dual controller make that much difference or can you get by with the single and the splitter? Do you need that much temprature difference between the liner and the gloves? Thanks for your help.
It won't perform very well if you wire the jacket and gloves in series with the same controller. You need two controllers. It is better (fewer wires) if you have a dual channel controller but not necessary, you can simply buy another single channel controller. If I were you I would sell my single channel controller on this site or EBay and buy a dual channel controller. Make sure your Gerbings jacket fits tight over just a TShirt, if it is loose it will be much less effective at keeping you warm - the heating panels need to be tight against you to be effective.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-26-2010 at 05:17 PM.