Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just read Hells Angel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i tried reading hunter s thompsons book on the hells angels but it just never grabbed my attention i was asleep within three pages every time. i love reading on all topics but i think at the end of the day reading about biker clubs just isn't all that interesting.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
I read S. Hunter Thompson's Hell's Angels and the book that started this thread. I wish I could get the week of my life back from reading them. They were lousy books, not well written, nor very educational or entertaining. It seemed as if Thompson was being manipulated by Barger to get his "we're just a misunderstood social club" image out to the public, and Sonny's book I felt was only telling you the bare minimum of what was really going on so he could make a few bucks. I felt no more knowledgeable or understanding of these people than before I read them. They did a lot of drugs, partied a lot, rode their bikes real fast, and were picked on by law enforcement. What part of that didn't we know before we cracked the cover on their books? Each to his own I guess.
Uh huh, right up until the point HA kicked Hunter's a$$...

Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh huh, right up until the point HA kicked Hunter's a$$...
There's a lot of controversy as to why that happened. Some say Thompson himself requested it so he could put it in his book, some say he was caught ripping off the HAs (although what they got you'd want to steal is beyond me), and some say he was such a pain in the A _ _ they beat him up to just make him go away. Of course none of that's in any book anywhere.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The story about why he got a beating, was they where sittin around partying and a member slapped his Old lady and Hunter made a remark about it, and got beat for it....

Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Double_Trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by El Rey
Agreed. Seems like Dobyns and his guys were the real criminals.

+1

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff08fxdc
The story about why he got a beating, was they where sittin around partying and a member slapped his Old lady and Hunter made a remark about it, and got beat for it....
There was a youtube clip posted about it in the videos section. Some canadian TV show interviewed him, and Skip, one of the HA's.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
trekez2
Tourer

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
He sold out to the establishment long ago. The Victory deal is just the latest. He tried to get Harley to pay him to ride a Harley and they refused. Victory paid.

This is all hearsay so take for what it's worth to you. I have not spoken with the man about this.

I saw Sonny a couple of months ago in one of the local Harley shops waiting in the customer's lounge ...... just saying.