Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just read Hells Angel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Read Hell's Angel. It's okay, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were already interested in reading about clubs though. Same with Ridin' High Livin' Free. Also read Honor Few Fear None by Ruben Cavazos, I would put it a couple steps below Hell's Angel. Actually the story is pretty close to Sonny Barger's in Hell's Angel. I haven't looked at any of the undercover books.

As far as MC memoirs go my vote for the best of the lot is Riding on the Edge by John Hall. He goes through the growth of the Pagans in the late 60's while he was a member of and later the president of the Long Island chapter. There's much more 'just having some fun and raising hell' which goes further in explaining the attraction of clubs. He also has a real talent for writing and weaving the story of the Pagans with everything from the fall of Satan to the Reformation to the Pennsylvania Dutch lifestyle. It's a good read and you get a bit of a history lesson from it as well. I was so impressed with this book that I passed it on to my wife, a philosophy professor, who leans towards those books that I would have to keep slapping myself to stay awake though.

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 12-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

I enjoyed "No Angel" by Jay Dobyns.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM
motocriz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
...as MC memoirs go my vote for the best of the lot is Riding on the Edge by John Hall. He goes through the growth of the Pagans in the late 60's while he was a member of and later the president of the Long Island chapter.
I have not read the others, but I have read this one and it was a real good book. I do believe that John Hall is now a college professor.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
motocriz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tony P
I did read this one too. Dobyn's entire story does not jibe. The biggest "criminal" in the book was Dobyn's crew. There were a lot of inconsistencies and that is probably why none of the HA in this investigation got much time for the things they did (seeing as they did not seem to do much of anything illegal). Two years worth of taxpayer money....for nothing...

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
This one isn't a bad read. I found the most interesting thing in the book to be the way Dobyns got sucked into the lifestyle, especially for a guy that kept bitching about how he didn't like bikes.

The Barger book referenced by the OP is also a good read. Of course I am sure most of the books are 90% fiction. The cops and the so called outlaws are just trying to make money off us, imagine that.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I live in real life. If it isn't on TV I'm not inclined to see it. TV is real life...right? lol
ok, that's funny

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. I just read Riding on the Edge by John Hall. A very good book. The writing is much better than the books written by other motorcycle club members. According to a search on Google, John Hall retired as a college professor in 2005.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now I know where the eThugs get their information on how to be a real hard core bad *** bikers.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
bigalv63
Tourer

Well. sometimes I just like reading a book..any book without the intention of being critical....or just reading for enjoyment about motorcycles, mystery novels or non-fiction...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read most of Sonny's books and a bunch of others. Dobyns was a lowlife rat..lol
Anyways...I just read One Percenter -The Legend of the Outlaw Biker. That was a very good read and I highly recommend it. It would explain alot to alot of you in here that just don't get it or understand it(the 1% lifestyle). Lotsa good books out there. Reading is good.. The mind is a terrible thing...and we must stop it in our lifetime.....or something like that..

Last edited by BobStreetBob; 01-02-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: can't spell worth a shit...

Quick Reply: Just read Hells Angel