Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Hi position mc lift with pics and videos...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Oh! I almost forgot. Mine goes to the ground every time. I have the side stand down and lower the bike slowly. The bike will tilt onto the side stand and the lift continues down to the bottom and I pull it out.

The welds look good on mine. I left it as it was. I have used it twice on the Ultra and the lift handled the load well. I stored the FXSTC over the winter on it.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Oh! I almost forgot. Mine goes to the ground every time. I have the side stand down and lower the bike slowly. The bike will tilt onto the side stand and the lift continues down to the bottom and I pull it out.

The welds look good on mine. I left it as it was. I have used it twice on the Ultra and the lift handled the load well. I stored the FXSTC over the winter on it.
Same here, no mods at all and it lowers all the way; works perfect.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
grf000, can you post a pic? I can't visualize what you are saying. I get that you keep it low to the ground but, I'm not following what you do with the blocks and wood. Thanks.

For those who use a drive on lift, how do you spin your wheels to clean them?

I use a small rectanular screw jack, looks similar to a screw jack in cars they give for changing tires. most places that sell lift tables sell these also. You can even use that on the floor to pick up front or rear.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
grf000, can you post a pic? I can't visualize what you are saying. I get that you keep it low to the ground but, I'm not following what you do with the blocks and wood. Thanks.

For those who use a drive on lift, how do you spin your wheels to clean them?
Check my two albums under grf000 for a general idea. Most people I have see use a small scissor jack under the frame for a drive on. I do not do a lot of cleaning. Let the rain and windex for the spots when they get bad. Move the bike a couple three times. Too old to be picky.

Also just my opinion on how high to lift and not knocking Dr V Twin. He's a good guy to get parts from.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-17-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
I hate to be MOM but your pictures scare me to death. Guess 45 years of seeing heavy lifts in a shipyard and too many accidents. I would never lift a bike as far as this on this type of jack. It needs to be on a full drive on lift and a scissor jack to catch certain areas for this kind of height. To put ones self in harms way like the gentlemen cleaning the bike is just too risky. I use a lift since I do not have a place for a drive on lift but I block the wheels and stand with 2 foot long pieces of stacked 2x12's and its only height enough then to get a wrench under it. You really need to stand back and look at this and think what you are saying is OK to do. Just my opinion.
Totally agree, the entire bike is that far in the air and not even strapped to the lift in case it shifts.
All the pivot points are held with what, maybe half a dozen grade 8 bolts?

I only lift as far as needed and make sure it's tied off.
Thats why I have a roller seat so I can get down to the wheels with them only a few inches off the floor.

Bit hard to lift 900 lbs when it sitting on top of you...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose some people shouldn't get out of bed in the morning..I mean.. sumpin might happen.