General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog

Since I'm a Harley owner now I've been considering joining HOG. Is it worth the price of the dues for a membership and an associates membership? what are the benefits? I want ya'lls opinions not the HOG website benefits.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 12-23-2010, 07:12 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion no. I get all the benefits with my AAA, and it covers my cars too, or any car I'm riding in for that matter. Try that with HOG.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont join nuttin that asks me for money

Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
teacherman
Cruiser
Default Let you know soon.

I got a year free with a new bike today. I'll post an opinion once I learn more about it. Price was right, anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

This might help you to decide. Watch the whole thing to get some insight into what HOG is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVyHg...eature=related

Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i say no. when i bought my first hd in 02, i got suckered into it. spent 4 years renewing my membership. so i let it lapse. some people like it, others don't. they didn't do nothing for me but want me to spend lots of money. i don't need to spend a lot of money to ride, so when my time was up (got another free year for new bike purchase), so long.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Like most subscription plans (which HOG does require yearly dues) it really depends on whether or not you use the benefits to determine if it is worth it for you.

You get HOG magazine quarterly. Nothing ground breaking, but a good read while you are taking a constitutional.

You get a discount at Red Roof in.

The milage program is more for the pin/patch collector. You get rewards every so many k miles.

Being a national HOG member is a requirement for local HOG chapters...which have their own patch and dues.

They advertise a discount for bike rentals, but I haven't really seen a difference in what they offer and what a dealer ship usually charges.

You do get random incentives now and again. I got a 100 gift card to rent a bike, so basically a free 1 day rental out of the blue. Which works out for my vacation plans. I also got a $4 discount to the International Motorcycle Show admission (although Progressive offered me the same discount).

You get a $25 refund on any Motorcycle safety course (beginners, advanced, etc.).

You also get the same sort of break down coverage as AAA, if you are away from home and riding, then the dealer will provide you a free rental while the repairs are done.

Personally, I have never seen the guys with colors have HOG patches.

I give the guys with colors a wide birth because I don't want to have a misunderstanding resulting in increased health insurance premiums.

I give the guys with HOG patches a wide birth because I don't want a misunderstanding resulting in me being audited, pressured into joining a rotary club, or having to pay legal fees.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you like to eat out a lot and wear full leathers while driving your car , hog may be for you

Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a member for seven years---a waste of time and money to me but others enjoy it.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpatim
Since I'm a Harley owner now I've been considering joining HOG. Is it worth the price of the dues for a membership and an associates membership? what are the benefits? I want ya'lls opinions not the HOG website benefits.

Thanks,
Tim
For me its worth it. I upgrade my membership with RoadAmerica ($20.00 extra over hog membership). For the price I'm paying I can't get better coverage here in Canada. I've used it once in 4 years and it was worth it. I have unlimited towing and unlimited occurances so if I need it 5 times a year I'm covered. I don't do the mileage club or abc's of touring or all that I just want the piece of mind that if I break down I'll eventually get picked up. If you price it out and AAA is cheaper and reliable go with them.

Quick Reply: Hog