General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received the free year of HOG membership when I bought my scoot. I then received an invitation from the local HOG club to join... sent them a check, and that was the last I heard from them. We don't get any discounts from the local stealer for being a member. My AAA plus membership covers my bike and car much better than the HOG roadside service, and they have better maps for free. I have been getting invitations to renew and think I will pass. The magazine is interesting, but I think I will opt for a subscription to American Iron instead. I'm sure that some HOG chapters are great and it would seem that the ones up the valley north of me may have more going on than the locals.....the jury is still out on that one.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

They don't even send me my HOG magazine. I had a couple of years for buying a couple of bikes and I think I have gotten one issue. Going to let it expire for sure. It is a joke.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:52 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I found HOG to be a waste of money for me. I can get much better break-down towing coverage from CAA (Canadian AAA).

Its a good organization to join if you want to go to meetings and ride with groups of people. I never went to a meeting of my chapter, but I did go to one of another chapter with a friend. It was like what you would find in any organized group; some people want to run things and tell everyone else what to do. They get caught up in the politics of the thing and it starts to feel like work. I wasn't amused and the novelty wore off quickly.

If you've got AAA coverage and you already have riding buddies, you won't get much benefit from it.

My buddy calls HOG "Hundreds of Goofs". I didn't meet any more goofs there than at any other gathering, but it just wasn't for me.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Well it looks like if your looking to get something for nothing, or discounts out the wazoo a Hog membership may not be for you. But if you want some folks to ride with, you can find some in a Hog group. Free towing and 10-20% discounts seem to be a thing of the past, as everyone is trying to make a buck without taking it in the shorts nowadays. If you can find a few people that ride the way you do, and you enjoy their company then I'd say you got your moneys worth.,,

Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99

Don't confuse this with "local chapter" only discounts.
I think you're the one who is confused. Contrary to popular myth, there never was a "Hog Discount" program that applied universally. Whether or not to offer a discount and who qualified and to what degree, was always up to each individual dealership since it would come out of their pocket.

Some dealers didn't offer a discount to anybody...some offered a discount only to the members of the chapter they sponsor...and a few offered it to anybody who showed a membership card. But at no time was there a HD mandate to dealers that said someone was entitled to a discount.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

We have a great local HOG group and it is worth it to me for that. Otherwise, I would not be a national member. Something you need to decide for yourself.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was mainly thinking of it for the other local members but I don't know anything about the local chapter. I don't have any friends that ride and was looking at to find other riders to go riding with and go to rallys with. I figured as far as benefits it would be the same as the Honda club was when I rode a Wing. Some kind of impossible condition had to be met to get the benefit.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Hog

I useta belong but no more. Since they eliminated the fly and ride program and are spending members dues on sponsoring a racer that to me is enough. To the original poster if you are considering a local Chapter you must join the national first. So double dues.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
I dont join nuttin that asks me for money
You joined this site and they are asking for money

Old 12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on the Chapter.

Some suck, some are great.some of the members are ok but you some of them think there better then others

Quick Reply: Hog