General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mea4dxl
All we do is eat
edited it down to what hog is all about lol

Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joined HOG about a year ago, only thing I've gained out of it was a patch and a pamphlet, they want me to renew my membership shortly, think I'm gonna opt out.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I've been a member for almost six years. I have not found any value for being a member. In the last two years the benefits have been further reduced. I do not pay for the membership as I buy a bike each year the included free membership keeps going. Now at the major rallies HOG members can't even get free lemonade and popcorn in an air conditioned building like before at Daytona and Sturgis.

I will not waste my money on a paid membership.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been a member for several years and was considering not renewing but they came out with the 17% discount with AT&T which saved me about 20 bucks a month. Not too bad of a savings so I keep my membership.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:44 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the 17% savings on my AT&T cell phone bill each month and the 10% discount I get at the dealer more than pays for the yearly dues....... several times over.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Like any group you can get out of it what you put in. If you are a group minded individual it can have a lot of value, and if you are a loner its dubious.

IMHO the discounts are worth it on that basis alone. I'm not a club guy when it comes to my riding. But I belong to other groups with a similar structure, and some of my best friends come from those groups.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't join the local HOG chapter here because I can't afford the costume.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

The 17% ATT savings for me adds up to over $400 per year so the math works for me. I use the ride planner from time to time if I am riding to an unfamiliar destination.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Grandpatim, my best advise is to pick a Hog group convenient to you, go to a meeting first and get to see what its all about. Then go on a ride or two with the group. There are clicks in every group so you'll either feel left out of the loop, or be part of it. Most groups pick some charity or cause to support and you can get involved with that if it's what you want to do. Most members are casual riders from all walks of life so they don't rape and pillage villages most of the time. Rides usually have a destination and could be an overnight trip . If the people that run the chapter are riders and like to travel you can have some good trips. Some just want to take a ten mile ride and end up at a restaurant or bar. So if that's not want your looking for in a Hog group, try another group. There's alot of them around.,,

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some have mentioned these discounts on parts and accessories for being a "HOG" member in which what the original person was asking about.
We (wife & I) have experienced not only our half dozen local dealerships that the "HOG" membership will not get you this discount. They may say "YES" if you are in our local chapter.
Some say the reason that they no longer give the "HOG" discount is is that it has been abused.
In our travels in the past few years we have only experienced a couple that will honor the "HOG" member discount.
Don't confuse this with "local chapter" only discounts.
Check out if your local dealership or the one you plan to buy from will give the "HOG" member discount.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Hog