General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006 | 09:17 AM
savs2k
|
4th Gear
Default i need some help.

A friend of mine has a harley that use to belong to his father. We were currently trying to figure out its value and i was hoping to get some feed back. First of all we know little to none about harleys. Although I am very familiar and big with import cars and bikes. So please bare with me here. The bike is a 1990 Fatboy. Soft tail version i believe. The bike has 12k orig. miles on it. I was told that these bikes go for a fairly good price with the hardcore riders since its the first fatboy made. The bike is very clean no cosmetic flaws at all. I will try to add pictures tomorow. I went with my friend to a local harley dealer and they were telling us that there is a special model 1990 fatboy with some kind of gold or yellow stripe around the engine and a greyish color paint? Can somebody tell me more about this please. When they told us about this it didnt matter to me that much. Until we got back to his house took off the bike cover and what do you know the bike that i thought was silver was indeed some kind of greyish color with yellow/goldish stripes across the engine.

If there is anything that you would need to know or see to help us find the value of this bike please let me know. Thank you for all your troubble and time.

Old 09-28-2006 | 09:29 AM
surv1
Road Warrior
Default RE: i need some help.

According to NADA bluebook:

September 28, 2006 print this page

1990 Harley-Davidson Fatboy

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price

$4,835 $6,360

Options:

Fairing-Windshield Only: $21 $25

TOTAL PRICE $4,856 $6,385

Notes
DUE TO CUSTOM FEATURES SUCH AS CHROME, PAINT, ENGINE MODIFICATIONS, AND MARKET CONDITIONS, SOME VALUES MAY INCREASE BY AS MUCH AS 10%-30%.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-28-2006 | 09:37 AM
savs2k
|
4th Gear

yeah i noticed that site and kbb says around that range (kbb a few thousand more) but the local harley dealership told us not to sell it for that price because its a collectors bike? And holds more valve then kbb. But thank you that information did help.

Does anyone else have any input on this? Your input is very much apreciated

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:09 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

So you never really said is your friend wanting to find out so he can sell it? Is your friends dad the original owner ? I'd bett if it was on ebay it would get alot of bites. The 1990 Fat boy is the HD that got me interested in HD's. It would be really cool to own one.

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:14 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

I believe this one is called a gray ghost. Do a google search. I will post a link I found on google (I have no affiliation with this site)
This has some cool history I didn't know.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...p2.htm#history

I was looking at bikes for sale (1990 fatboy) that have less miles than yours asking more than 11K.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:20 PM
ethal68
Tourer

They have a yellowish or goldish line on the heads. Don't know the value of it though.

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:24 PM
ethal68
Tourer

Neat article Wayward son.

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:38 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Kelly blue book price is a joke, that is the first fatboy and very collectable, All silver including frame with special yellow accents,10-12k easy if its in very good condition, run it on ebay and see what it does, a friend just sold a 03 anny. heritage on there with a book value of 13k for 17,800. You never know on a special bike what some are willing to pay.

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:47 PM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

The 1990 Fatboy is in deed a collectors item, if it is completley stock and has original everything. There were only 4000 of these sold that year, not many left in original condition. For instance they totaled twelve of the bikes during the filming of the Terminator. Now, that being said the value of the bike to the collector is subjective. There is no set value like with NADA, you would have to compare like sales prices to come up with a ball park figure. Even then, it still depends on whether or not you can get a ready willing and able buyer who will pay top dollar.

I, myself would love to own a 1990 Fatboy, but if I were to buy one I could only afford 6 or 7k, someone else may want to pay 13k. Over the past three years or so, I have seen them sell for as little as eight thousand and as much as 25,000.00 at local auctions and on Ebay. Now, if you hold on to the bike, and take care of it, the value will skyrocket in another ten years or twenty. It is still only sixteen years old right now. If it were me, I would keep it and wait till there are only one or two around and then cash in. Of course the bike would have to be ridden from time to time, having a bike just sit around is wrong. They were meant to be ridden, just take care of it.

Old 09-28-2006 | 03:35 PM
Denbo
Tourer

Great story!

Quick Reply: i need some help.