General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of non-riders on the HD forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:22 AM
klap
Road Master

..ain't no thing..

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:24 AM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK
Yes, exactly. That was my point.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to be here, I've seen that everyone is welcome. I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Lots of non-HD riders I've met say they hate everything HD and have no patience for our ramblings.

Some have asked how I know there are non-riders here. Well, I've seen lots of posts that say things like, "When I get a bike,...", or "If I get a Harley,...". There was even 1 post where the OP essentially asked the members to convince him that he should get a Harley as opposed to another brand. Fair enough question, but he had been a member for a long time at that point.

Anyway, my intent was not to offend any non-riders or non-HD owners. Everyone has a right to be here and I have enjoyed posts from riders and non-riders alike.

Cool?

Well at least you cleared up what you meant, but if you read the original post you just didn't word it right or explain enough because you came off as basically thinking if you don't have a Harley then why be on here. So read your original post from my prospective, I don't have a Harley or bike YET but will in the future when I'm able to. I can understand your post if you talked about someone that doesn't even plan on getting a Harley, but it just sounded like it didn't matter what the reason was.

Plus I get defensive pretty easily because if I have a response to something I'll say it. I had to hold back because I didn't want to assume much, but even when I hold back I sometimes go to far so imagine when I don't hold anything back lol.

I'm glad I joined because I can get a lot od advise when I'm able to get one, any question I have I can ask here instead of at the HD shop which they sometimes will say stuff just to get a sell. Here I get the actual truth, sometimes at an HD shop you get the truth but others don't care and just want to get a sell even if it's just a $50 part (which for HD would be a bolt lol). I know I would have screwed myself or made mistakes if I did what I thought was the best thing. Now I know to take either the Rider's Edge course or a MSF course, then get a used bike instead of a brand new one. At first I was going to get a used one to learn on by myself, try to get the endorsement myself and then get a brand new Harley. Also I can tell from other types of forums most people basically wouldn't want people on there that didn't have whatever the forum was for specifically. Like a Camaro, Mustang, Mopar and so on. Here I was still welcomed from everybody like I had been riding for 30+ years, can't find that on many forums.

So again I understand what you might be talking about if someone is on here but doesn't plan on getting a Harley, but I do, I just haven't been able to yet. When I said I didn't have the money to get any bike I mean I literally didn't, not even for a $500 bike. When I did have the money I didn't have the time for any class (which is what I'm going to do) or to learn on my own. So it seems like it's never worked out for me, which is how most things are with me it seems lol.

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:32 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

It's a Free Country. Knowledge is power as they say. The more they read the more they learn. Some of the Non-riders seem like nicer people than some of the So called riders. Non-riders, You don't have to run out and buy a New bike. Lots of good used HD deals out there. Take the MSF course and do it. If you can't afford a HD buy something, and you can always upgrade. You only live once. Don't wait until its too late and your saying I shouda bought a bike. Don't sit on the couch your whole life. People ride for different reasons. To some, especially around here it's some kind of status symbol. I ride a HD because 1. I am an AMERICAN. 2. I love the road.

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:33 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Riders, non-riders...it's all good. All share interest and enthusiasm in Harleys or the biker lifestyle. No other brand has such a following.

I'd like to see more ladies on the board. They have a different perspective on things. And they look better than y'all.

Old 12-23-2010 | 12:07 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not concerned as to one's reason for reading thru this, or any, forum...

Old 12-23-2010 | 12:15 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

Hey , if that young lad or anyone else wants to come in here and get some ideas or information , then they are welcome to in my book .

Old 12-23-2010 | 12:48 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I was reading Motorcycle Magazines and Car Magazines for years before I was even old enough to get a drivers license. Didn't have the internet when I was that age. I suspect that these forums, in many ways, provide the same sort of experience.

Old 12-23-2010 | 12:59 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I don't get it. How can you tell someone is bikeless?

Old 12-23-2010 | 01:16 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't always have a bike, but long before I got one, I was reading bike magazines. I can't say, but seems to me it may be the same type of thing. Do you really need to own a Harley to appreciate them or be interested in them and want to hear more about them? It's like saying that you can't go to the circus unless your a bonafied clown.

Old 12-23-2010 | 04:29 PM
bogieb
Road Warrior

I joined several bike forums before getting my Suzuki because I was researching what the pro's and cons of different bikes were and the best way to do that is ask questions. Also, can't usually search forums unless you join.

I didn't join the HD forum until I was truly serious about getting an HD, but first lurked for several months.

Quick Reply: Lots of non-riders on the HD forum.