General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of non-riders on the HD forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010 | 07:50 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master

Originally Posted by Crazy
If I could give you some old guy advise:

Go out and buy a bike now. If I had waited for my Harley, I would have missed out on about 25 years of fantastic times riding. Having the Harley has been the icing on the cake for me, but think of all the cake I would have missed.

A young guy at work went to Sturgis with me and my buddies this past summer. From Albuquerque to Sturgis, and then he went by himself out to the west coast, and then back to Albuquerque, and he had a blast. Best thing he ever did, he told me, and all on a $1,000 Suzuki 500. (Yes he kept up with us, and we haul ***) He would have missed it if he waited to afford a Harley.

I love riding my Harley, but the bottom line for me is riding. The Harley just adds a little extra.

Good Luck to you.

Crazy

Thanks but trust me when I said I either didn't have time or the money I literally meant I didn't have the money. Not even the money for a bike that cost a few hundred. I'm not going to wait until I can afford my dream bike, I know I'll get a used Harley first but I guess I'm to stubborn to not get anything but a Harley or bike from a custom shop.

Right now I don't even have an income. Next month I start school and training to try to be a cop which doesn't end until May, a good 16 weeks. After that whenever I find a job I can either keep the truck (paid off) I have now and get a Harley or get a newer truck first. If I can afford both a newer truck and Harley then great but if I have to pick one of the 2 then I'm not sure, I'll have time to figure it out though.

Old 12-22-2010 | 08:10 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crazy
If I could give you some old guy advise:

Go out and buy a bike now. If I had waited for my Harley, I would have missed out on about 25 years of fantastic times riding. Having the Harley has been the icing on the cake for me, but think of all the cake I would have missed.

A young guy at work went to Sturgis with me and my buddies this past summer. From Albuquerque to Sturgis, and then he went by himself out to the west coast, and then back to Albuquerque, and he had a blast. Best thing he ever did, he told me, and all on a $1,000 Suzuki 500. (Yes he kept up with us, and we haul ***) He would have missed it if he waited to afford a Harley.

I love riding my Harley, but the bottom line for me is riding. The Harley just adds a little extra.

Good Luck to you.

Crazy
Agreed,good advice.There are lots of good,reliable bikes for sale right now in the $1,000 price range,riding is better than walking unless your hiking for pleasure or by choice.

Old 12-22-2010 | 09:28 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master

To all the bikeless folk. Save yer pennies, and buy a Harley. Those cheaper machines are good, they just dont have the right name on the tank .

Ive rode Trumpets for 4 decades. I can never go back.

Old 12-22-2010 | 10:05 PM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I was a non rider when I joined this forum. I joined so I could learn a few things before I decided on which bike I wanted to buy and which mods I wanted to put on it and it helped me out a lot.
There ya go. In my mind, one of the reasons for a forum like this to exist is to inform potential new riders and answer questions. Everyone was a newbie once. The only newbies I can't stand are the ones that come in bashing and acting like authorities on $hit they know nothing about.

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:09 AM
chappy99
Road Captain

everybody loves a Harley
for me it has always been the sound

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:10 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

aren't we all non-riders when we're behind the 'puter screen?

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:15 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK
I've noticed that there are a lot of non riders who are members of this HD forum. Not just people who don't have HDs, but people who actually don't ride bikes.

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't be members (everyone is welcome I'm sure), but I am wondering what could possibly be of interest to them as we "blah blah blah Harley" this and "blah blah blah Harley" that.

Personally, I wouldn't want to join a specialized forum if I didn't actually participate in that particular activity. But hey, maybe I'm weird that way.

Maybe a non-rider will chime in and explain the attraction.
Yep, even you were a non-rider once... welcome to all the "non-riders" who come to this forum to read and learn. I personally have attended many events and happenings over the years just because I was curious enough to learn a little bit about what I could in this short lifetime. I was fortunate enough in my life to be taught right and learned enough that I had earned enough $$$ to buy my first bike at the age of 15 (1942 Indian for $25... about a weeks pay and another few weeks pay to fix it up)) and have been riding now for 47 years... not everyone has the opportunities that I have had, but I applaud those who are curious by nature and have the desire to expand their horizons beyond their limiting circumstances in life. Again... welcome to all non-riders on this forum including those that own motorcycles.

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:26 AM
toby61
Road Warrior

i dont have a problem with it,heck i see a lot of others at bike shows and swap meets that dont have bikes what about others wearing H-D shirts etc that dont ride

Old 12-23-2010 | 08:40 AM
2011FLHTK
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by chuckw2
Your history and bio show that you aren't one of the ones the OP is talking about. You obviously are interested in riding and HD's and will most certainly have one at some point.
I got that he was wondering why someone with no real interest or intent to ride would want to listen to the stuff we all talk about here.
Yes, exactly. That was my point.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to be here, I've seen that everyone is welcome. I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Lots of non-HD riders I've met say they hate everything HD and have no patience for our ramblings.

Some have asked how I know there are non-riders here. Well, I've seen lots of posts that say things like, "When I get a bike,...", or "If I get a Harley,...". There was even 1 post where the OP essentially asked the members to convince him that he should get a Harley as opposed to another brand. Fair enough question, but he had been a member for a long time at that point.

Anyway, my intent was not to offend any non-riders or non-HD owners. Everyone has a right to be here and I have enjoyed posts from riders and non-riders alike.

Cool?

Old 12-23-2010 | 10:38 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK
Yes, exactly. That was my point.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to be here, I've seen that everyone is welcome. I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Lots of non-HD riders I've met say they hate everything HD and have no patience for our ramblings.

Some have asked how I know there are non-riders here. Well, I've seen lots of posts that say things like, "When I get a bike,...", or "If I get a Harley,...". There was even 1 post where the OP essentially asked the members to convince him that he should get a Harley as opposed to another brand. Fair enough question, but he had been a member for a long time at that point.

Anyway, my intent was not to offend any non-riders or non-HD owners. Everyone has a right to be here and I have enjoyed posts from riders and non-riders alike.

Cool?
I guess it's like some have already said- intellectual curiosity - reading about things you have no real intention of pursuing but liking to read about others experiences. With the exposure the "life" has had over the last 20-30 years to the non-riding public it seems logical that some who aren't in it would still find it interesting.

Quick Reply: Lots of non-riders on the HD forum.