General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turnig electra to street

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
100bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turnig electra to street

Hello,
Just bought an 03 electra glide and really would like to make it look like street glide.. anyone have a opionion or suggestions on the detachable tour pak . I doubt I will lower it. to worried about bottoming out although I like the look.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy had the stock tour pack converted to detachable, at the dealer, cost something stupid like 1300 bucks or something. Looked a lot better in my opinion but damn thats alot of dough to make something come off easier. He spent more money on stripping it down than on modding it. Maybe its not the bike for you? Just something to consider before dropping too much money on it.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 05 electraglide and it only takes about 45 min at most to remove the tour pack. You will not like the look with the stock style seat as it will look like a big marshmallow back there. I got sundowner and it looks alot better. You will need a liscense plate bracket such as a laydown one or a relocator to locate it below the tailight.

I bought a passenger backrest and rack also.

The pic below is before I installed the sundowner seat.

Attached Thumbnails turnig electra to street-img00005.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i did that..acually my bike was a rebuild and the old box was smashed,didnt want it anyway.
lowering it isnt a problem, im 380, i had the rear lowered 1in,no prob, had the front dropped 2in,it bottomed a few times but still not bad..but i wouldnt sugest dropping the front more then 1"..if you want it to look just like a sg the lights/fenders are on ebay pretty cheap

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

I stripped my 01 Ultra down similar to a SG before HD came out with it... Rat1 is right, you may want to change the seat when the tour pack is off. Schaub, $1300 is HUGE for the detachable rig! The stealer got your buddy coming and going... I got all the hardware for around $300 and installed it myself in an hour or so. I also bought a detachable sissy bar for the wife for local riding when the tour pack is not needed. If you do the work yourself, it really isn't that expensive, and its easy to do.

Attached Thumbnails turnig electra to street-dcp_1971.jpg   turnig electra to street-dcp_1972.jpg   turnig electra to street-dcp_1973.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with Schaub. It might be more cost effective and certainly easier to just sell your bike and buy a SG.

BTW, nice looking Ultra geoff....

Shakey

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are tool handy watch ebay to get the quick disconnect set-up and a seat to your liking. Ride it for awhile and decide later if you really want it lower. IMO the UC as a single seat without TP is a great look.....but not an SG.

If you want to dechrome and make it "cleaner" looking overall (can't think of a better term) then I agree with others. Look to making a deal on an SG.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 PM
100bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all! Checked at local dealership detach, relocate atena into fairing and 4 point setup all for about 300. What have you guys done to relocte plate or do you not need too?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy the Kuryakyn tail light/signal kit. It has the tag mount under the light and has the lights closer together. It also has a tag light. It's plug and play...or you can find a used streetglide set-up.

You'll need to buy a new laydown tailight that has the upper portion all red. The stocker has a clear window for the tag light.

Trust me on moving the tag. It looks 100 times better under the tag.

You can also do the rear fender fascia. Will still work with the detachable back rest kit.

Here's my 07 FLHT.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I've yet to get the plugs for the fascia or the bar I chopped. I've been busy with the gauges and dash.

Quick Reply: turnig electra to street