General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost lost it

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:07 PM
Hogaholic
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default almost lost it

Went for a ride with the wife this evening, rode about 1.5 hours, was crossing a r.r. track that they were working on, had the rip-rap type of gravel on it. As soon as we hit that stuff, a$$ end of bike goes sideways. Recovered but needed to smoke at the next turnout.. Wife was not a happy camper for awhile.Name:  clintsmoking.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  3.9 KB

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:31 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Default RE: almost lost it

I know what you mean. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were out for a ride over in PA and a truck must have spilled over some kind of small pea gravel in just about every damned turn. I just slowed way the hell down, but would'nt you know that the silly cagers behind me kept honking at me to speed up! Pulled over first chance I got and let the morons go. Yeah, gravel is BAD news. BTW. What is rip-rap gravel anyway?

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:38 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

shitttttttttt , I gotta ride 2 miles each way from the house on gravel before I hit chip rock roads , another mile then highway. I keep an extra pair of underwear in the bags ....

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:43 PM
Jular2
Road Captain

Glad you didn't dump it--good ridin !!!!

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:00 PM
Hogaholic
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Its these big gravels the size of golf *****.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16015/B0F4F2A65DB341C39C3392730BA4AA73.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:08 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

That's not RipRap. Thats 1 1/2" screened. Sorry work in the heavy road construction buiseness and wanted to set the record straight

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:23 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Mac57

I know what you mean. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were out for a ride over in PA and a truck must have spilled over some kind of small pea gravel in just about every damned turn. I just slowed way the hell down, but would'nt you know that the silly cagers behind me kept honking at me to speed up! Pulled over first chance I got and let the morons go. Yeah, gravel is BAD news. BTW. What is rip-rap gravel anyway?
you were holding up traffic so bad that *cars* started honking at you?

gottta watch that six and let the ego go. nothing wrong with getting passed, but waiting until people have to honk at you is... not so good. i pass people every day, and get passed by faster people every day. noone had to honk, you just get out of the way when you see that a faster person is coming up on you.

even if they're cagers.

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:59 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

1 1/2 inch ?? Holy cow , now that WOULD suck

Old 09-28-2006 | 08:40 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

ORIGINAL: Mac57

you were holding up traffic so bad that *cars* started honking at you?

gottta watch that six and let the ego go. nothing wrong with getting passed, but waiting until people have to honk at you is... not so good. i pass people every day, and get passed by faster people every day. noone had to honk, you just get out of the way when you see that a faster person is coming up on you.

even if they're cagers.

I slowed down from 60 mph (speed limit was 45) to about 40. Lots of blind turns and no shoulder to speak of. I guess I gave the car drivers too much credit for smarts thinking they would notice the gravel themselves and understand my caution. But no, typical cagers who think they need to rush to break into the top ten or something. As I said, I pulled over first chance I got which was a private driveway wide enough to safely slow down into. It wasn't my ego (don't have a whole lot of that) but my common sense and concerne for my wife's safety as well as mine that made me take the time I needed to get out of the way. I try never to let others on the road dictate to me how I will or should ride. I am the one in control.

Old 09-28-2006 | 09:41 AM
surv1
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Firefox

That's not RipRap. Thats 1 1/2" screened. Sorry work in the heavy road construction buiseness and wanted to set the record straight
Thats railroad track roadbed ballast, isn't it??

Quick Reply: almost lost it