General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD not reccomending Syn3 in all three holes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i don't care what they say

i have only run synthetic oil in my "engine only". other holes always Dino oil.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Amsoil 20/50 in the motor and primary. Amsoil Severe Gear in the transmission.

THERE. THAT oughta do it !!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

After all the oil controversy on what is good and what is crap, I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to drain all 3 holes and not put anything back in. Won't have to worry about any leaks, or any seals being deteriorated. When it all locks up or burns up, I'll just file a claim using my HD-Forums Extended Warranty that came with my new membership

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like synthetic oil over any dino oil. But I do use red line trans oil or another synthetic gear oil in my trans. I have try dino in my engine to see how long it would stand up in traffic or parades. I have found out one good hot engine will cook dino oil. So with dino oil a one day you could be looking at an oil change. Now synthetic oil has very hot days of riding and day after day comes back to life with good oil pressure. Now the primary is like this, no where is the oil being cooled down. It's mosty there for primary chain. I still would go with synthetic oil or change the oil twice as much.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Bartley1
Advanced

I have used it in all three but I don't like it in my transmission. I have seen missed shifts with syn 3 and not when I use semi synthetic or dino.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
Might be something they can throw out there to say, you didn't use reccomended oil. your warranty is void.
Not So!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM
badknees
Road Master

I think beings how they call it Syn 3 is a good clue.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

As long as it's the right weight and rating I don't think it matters a hill of beans what you put in there as long as you change it based on the mfgr's recommendations and always use a clean filter. I've used AMSOIL, Mobil 1, and Syn 3. Guess what? It still runs the same temps, shifts just like it always did, gets the same gas mileage, and has the same amount of metal on the magnetic plugs no matter what I run. The only difference I noted was the clutch seemed "looser" on the AMSOIL than on any of the others. I actually had to adjust it running that stuff to keep it from slipping at highway speeds. Changed it out and had to adjust it back because it would drag stopped at lights and idling.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought my bike used in October and changed all the oils at 5000 miles. I put Syn 3 in all three holes. I have always been a stickler on changing my oils in all my vehicles, probably do it prematurely more times than not. But for the price of oil, at least I know my oil is always fresh.
So with that said, I really don't think the Syn 3 is going to break down and give me all kinds of fits before I change it again. Everyone has their preference, which is what makes the world go round.....

Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Motorbones
Road Master

Originally Posted by dfndr
I heard a rumor that factory now not reccomending Syn3 in all three holes. Dealer said that's what they(dealer) recommends without ever answering about factory. Anyone know something about this?
I just bought a 2011 and the manual stated that Syn 3 is OK in all three buckets, which I did wih my 1000 mile transfusion. I'd take factory specs over dealer recommendations any day. Seems to work OK!!!

Quick Reply: HD not reccomending Syn3 in all three holes?