General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will you let your friend borrow your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a few very special friends that I care a lot about..................

...but I don't let them ride my wife either......................................

Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beav
I've got a couple of buddies that could use the bike any time they wish. It's know that if ya bust it, ya bought it.
It's a friggin motorcycle for Pete's sake.....

Beav
Amen Beav. I have friends all over. The rule is simple. Get there and I'll have a bike. Usually it's a friend of theirs bike. When they come see me, I make sure of the same. My friends are solids, if they weren't they wouldn't be my friend. It'a a friggin motorcycle.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
One of the questions from my friend that I really want to know. Please HONESTLY tell me whether you will let your friend borrow your bike for a day, or a few hours.
Why, or why not? What is the unwritten rule?
Remember that your friend may get upset with you, and you may loose a friend.
To me, my bike is my "girl-friend", and my best companion.
I'm an old fart.....I've never had a bike, that was more important, than friendship.... I always allow my friends test rides on my bike...it's a matter of trust....either you trust your friends, or you don't.. I wouldn't ask a stranger to allow me a ride, nor would I offer a stranger, a spin on my bike.
Time was, we'd do a mod, to our bike, and we couldn't wait to have a friend test the bike...

Just wonder! If it is just a bike, then why only for good friends, but not all friends.
Fair enough... not every friend knows how to ride...... and each rider has a skill level...I may believe, (and will tell that person) they don't have the skills to handle my bike (weight, power whatever)

I believe, it boils down to how we each define "friend".... one person, might call everyone they've met a "friend" while another believes the title, is earned over years.
That said... I would gladly allow most of my friends a spin on my bike.... but I'm reall picky about who gets the title, of "friend", as opposed to "some guy I know".

As far as "damaging internal parts"....yeah.. that is a risk..... but again, it's all about knowing the friend, isn't it? which brings us back to their skill level.....(IMO)

I don't believe there is a right or wrong.... it's just a personal decision. And that decision should be based on what we each know about our friends.
I know MY friends
You know YOUR friends..... make your decisions based on your knowledge

Old 12-18-2010, 06:16 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way anyone rides my scoot is if I am on their's and we are riding together. No way I let my bike out of my site with some one else riding it. Of course, this excludes someone that might be working on my bike for some reason?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have two people I will let ride mine

Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done swaps, but my bike is always riding along side me. Just for someone to ask to borrow my bike, no....wouldn't do that

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

I am with you!
Sorry for your friend.
Ride Safe!
Thank you. It happened in '03. When he went down, my bike was my only ride. Several people offered to let me borrow theirs (mine was my only transpo) until I got her fixed. I declined. I would NEVER put a friend through that! I'm pretty sure the last thing that went through Steve's mind was something along the lines of "Fvck! Gypsy's gonna kill me!".

I miss him terribly. He was a great friend.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fridge
No issue with any fellow club member borrowing my ****. I know they would fix anything they broke.

Lent my woman's bike to a brother for a few weeks at the moment which she ain't too happy about but what ya gonna do!
I hope she is still with you (just kidding!).
It's not even your bike! Why not your bike? It is not fair, man!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Nope, and here is why . . . . there is always a 0.0001% chance that something bad will happen. Even through it may be no fault of my friend, it's not a conversation I want to have with a friend. Saying no, up front is less of a problem in a friendship than the conversation you're going to have, (or going to try and avoid) if anything gets broken or worse.
It's one of the good ways!
Thanks

Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vincewd
I have two people I will let ride mine
Let us know, who!

Quick Reply: Will you let your friend borrow your bike?