General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big win for Paul Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:08 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I still find the show entertaining. I look forward to it....not the quality of the bikes.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soulpony
Saw a couple of their bikes at the local Harley dealer at different times, the last one I believe was call the raptor, this bike has got to be 2 feet longer then my street glide.
I was talking to the guy that was taking it around the country (in a trailer) for show and he said it it a straight line bike and that 15 minutes on it and you felt like you'd been riding all day. Price tag $175000.00. Interesting details on the bike but nothing more then really expensive eye candy.
What a bargain...and practical too. That comes to $11666.66 per minute of pure riding enjoyment. Wasn't it cheaper to get a seat on the Supersonic Transport?

Tech23

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

Can't stand to watch it anymore, but think the producers of the show are brilliant for making contraversy, drama and stange behavior it's main attaction. Today's hot shows have this metality as it's feature, the 13 housewife shows, Snookie garbage, celebrity rehab shows and the OCC has kept up. Makes you appreciate Andy Griffith and Don Knotts even more as entertainers without having to yell at each other to get ratings.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Gunterjaeger
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah they're a bunch of chooches! Give a real builder all that equipment, and somebody slap the sh it out of those asinine bafoons

Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
the producers of the show are brilliant for making contraversy, drama and stange behavior it's main attaction.
!00% correct. If it was about bike building, the show would have been cancelled long ago. (like ALL of the other bike shows).

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
!00% correct. If it was about bike building, the show would have been cancelled long ago. (like ALL of the other bike shows).
I forget WHERE I read the article but I remember reading that the people in charge at the Discovery channel had another builder (I think from New Hampshire) set up to do the American Chopper series. It was supposed to be a show about what it takes to build a bike and the problems the average builder goes through with vendors, mis-fitting parts....etc. But the builder up in NH was a laid back kind of guy who didn't all worked up. Last minute the Discovery channel folks decided to pull the plug on the NH builder and go with the Teutels because they brought more drama to the show and figured the ratings would be higher.

There are probably a lot of people on this forum who would love to see a show about actual bike building (me included), but the general "Jerry Springer" public would probably not watch it. the ratings would suck and unfortunately the show would probably have been cancelled.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That show is still on the air??

Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 AM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still do watch the show. Before they split it was a perfect combo of building the bikes and a little bit of family rather it was the family drama or just hanging out somewhere. I didn't mind the family part. Before they'd have 2 episodes on 1 bike where the 1st one was mainly the R&D and fab of the bike, 2nd one was the final assembly. Then they went to 1 bike per episode which sucked a little but still showed enough bike fab with the personal stuff to. But once they split up they hardly show a bike being built since they have to show 2 bike shops.

Some bikes I don't agree with with all the BS on them but it's basically what the customer wants or what they think the customer will like. Their production bikes don't seem to bad, just their style but I hardly see their production bikes anywhere. Probably because they cost too much.

They both have their problems, I'm not on either side. But I think since SR GAVE JR the 20% then why should SR have to buy that 20% back? IF SR gave him the 20% then JR should be man enough to just give that 20% back to his dad. What JR is trying to do would be about the same as if you gave someone something but then later on you needed it back but they decide to sell it back, not exactly fair. I know it's a lot more to it than that but same basic idea.

I personally wouldn't buy an OCC bike but the show is still something to watch. I'd much rather have a Big Bear Chopper, both Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. need to take notes from Kevin at BBC because they have high quality ridable bikes that look bad *** all for a good price. You can get a BBC bike for $20-30,000 give or take, any other bike shop I've seen with bikes like that are at least $50,000. I also remember on Biker Build-Off that I think it only took him about 5 years to build the company into a multi million $ company, OCC needed the American Chopper show to do that basically.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crappy show, horrible father. my dad is the same way. all about him. F em, i havent spoken to my dad in 11 years, could give a chit if he dropped dead today. im sure Jr feels the same about his.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Hardcorvette
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't beleive I clicked on this thread after reading the heading.