General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strugis week before the rally

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 AM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strugis week before the rally

So here is the deal. Right now we are looking at flying into Denver on July 30th renting two bikes and riding up to Steamboat Springs, then onto Jackson Hole, WY, Yellowstone, Red Lodge MT via the Beartooth Hwy (212), and then to Sturgis. It looks like we will be in Sturgis the 3rd and 4th of August which is a few days before the rally actually starts. Can anyone tell me what to expect during that week? Will there be anything going on?

The reason we aren't riding out from central PA is...we have two younger kids, and we don't want to leave them with relatives for two weeks.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We normally go every year "the week before". We meet up with friends from around the country, stay in Deadwood. We ride all day, and have our own party in the parking lot with all of the other riders. Meet lots of great people from around the country.

In ' 09, we went the "week of". WAYYYY to crowded for my liking. When I sat for 40 minutes to get thru a Stop sign, and had to shut off the bike to keep from overheating, I decided, never again!

Going "the week before": All of the vendors are there, or are in the process of setting up. All of the bars / food establishments are open. There are some bands, albeit not the big stars. But the main thing, EVERYTHING in the area is not jammed-packed!

We ride all of the area with very little traffic. We stop in bars, restaurants, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc without standing in line or sitting in traffic.

To be fair, if your interest is the concerts / partys out at the 'Chip, and the huge crowds, then go the "week of".

I normally ship my bike from FL to Thunder Mt. Harley in Loveland and ride up with our friends from that area, thru Cheyenne, eastern Wyoming, thru SW S. Dakota.

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned. You'll have PLENTY to do and see in Sturgis, "week of" or "week before".

Ride safe!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser

Hey RK,

Thanks for the reply. We have talked about shipping the bikes, but we weren't what it would cost. What does it cost to have your bike shipped from Florida?

Thanks,

BTW we aren't into the big crowds either.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little piece of advice from someone who's done the ride you're talking about...allow yourselves a LOT of time for the Red Lodge/Beartooth part of your trip. If you plan your trip by computer, it won't know that you can't climb mountains and negotiate switchbacks at 50 MPH. 10-15 max is more like it, with lots of stops for pictures. And at the top of the pass we rode through snow and sleet on July 2nd, so be ready for anything.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser

Normally runs $ 1100 - $ 1400 round trip. Most of the major haulers are competively priced. There are MANY threads on HDF with the likes / dislikes about them all. Haven't had any issues, aside from the "inconvenience" of matching my desired schedule to someone else's. Some will pick up / drop off at your house, others pick/drop at a Harley dealer. Harley dealers use to offer the service, but I think most have quit.

This past year, my bike sat @ Thunder Mt Harley for 7 days until I hit town and they didn't charge me a "storage" fee. I've heard some dealers want to charge for the drop off, and pick up, and the days the bike sits there. TMHD didn't.

I lucked into deal this past year with a local company and paid $ 900. I tipped the guy well, in hopes that I can luck into the same deal next year!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser

Max

Re-reading your original post, I guess I should say that for the trip you're planning, you probably should explore shipping your bike.

During that time of year, the rental rates go up. Last year, renting (7-8 days) from Thunder Mt HD was going to be almost $ 1500, so shipping was definitely cheaper. Also, spending that much time on a bike, you're definitely more comfortable on your own.

I guess you can tell that I'm pleased with Thunder Mt. They treated us very well, whether renting or taking care of my bike. If you're in the Denver area, TM is only about an hour north in Loveland.

Good Luck!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
bbach
Cruiser

I go down to Sturgis a lot. I find Sturgis a great place to visit and ride just never during the rally. There will be plenty happening there the week before. People will be rolling in but three will be plenty of room to roam and ride and you will be happy with the lack of traffic jams in town.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser

Thanks Sharknose, Can you give me an idea of how long it would take to ride Beartooth to Red Lodge. Right now my total mileage for that day is roughly 200 miles, but that takes us down into Powell, WY which is just east of Cody.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RKCruzin'
Normally runs $ 1100 - $ 1400 round trip. Most of the major haulers are competively priced. There are MANY threads on HDF with the likes / dislikes about them all. Haven't had any issues, aside from the "inconvenience" of matching my desired schedule to someone else's. Some will pick up / drop off at your house, others pick/drop at a Harley dealer. Harley dealers use to offer the service, but I think most have quit.

This past year, my bike sat @ Thunder Mt Harley for 7 days until I hit town and they didn't charge me a "storage" fee. I've heard some dealers want to charge for the drop off, and pick up, and the days the bike sits there. TMHD didn't.

I lucked into deal this past year with a local company and paid $ 900. I tipped the guy well, in hopes that I can luck into the same deal next year!
RK,

Did you have to put the bike in a shipping crate? Or did they just strap it into the trailer. We have thought about shipping but figured we would need to build a shipping crate and arrange logistics for pick up and delivery and to be quite honest if it was only saving me $250-$300 I would just as soon rent.

We are looking to rent an Ultra Limited and a Road Glide Ultra.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM
bamarider
Tourer

I always go the week before. Except for the bands it is really great. Some of the bars are open and the roads are not crowded. Have a great time!

Quick Reply: Strugis week before the rally