General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strugis week before the rally

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I gotta go against the grain. If you are going to Sturgis to take it all in you will see nothing if you go the week before. I have gotten there a couple days early and it is dead. If all you are going for is to get some great rides that is one thing but if you want to enjoy some night life and good bands you need to be there during the actual rally.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know how you were planning to get from Red Lodge MT to Strugis. A great route is to take the Bear Tooth back from Red Lodge toward Cooke City but turn onto Chief Joseph and take that to Cody WY. Another awsome road to ride!!!!

From Cody take 14 to Greybull and over the Big Horns before heading to Sturgis.

Enjoy and have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Strugis week before the rally-chief-joseph-hwy.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Sturgis is at the northern edge of the Black Hills, one of the most scenic areas in the midwest. Coming early will give you plenty of time to ride the area and see the sights, without dealing with the massive traffic and crowds of people which steadily increase as the week progresses, then tapers off at the end. As others mentioned, vendors will be setting up, but don't expect deals at the beginning of Sturgis week, which you will get the last weekend.

Many of the area attractions offer discount admissions during Sturgis week, that you won't get before or after (such as riding through the Badlands National Park or going to Crazy Horse monument). You will, however, benefit from cheaper lodging, or getting the best campsites.

I'll attach a picture of a massive motorcycle traffic jam at Mt. Rushmore, to give you an idea of what it can be like during Sturgis week.

Attached Thumbnails Strugis week before the rally-mt.-rushmore-traffic-jam.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 12-17-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
A little piece of advice from someone who's done the ride you're talking about...allow yourselves a LOT of time for the Red Lodge/Beartooth part of your trip. If you plan your trip by computer, it won't know that you can't climb mountains and negotiate switchbacks at 50 MPH. 10-15 max is more like it, with lots of stops for pictures. And at the top of the pass we rode through snow and sleet on July 2nd, so be ready for anything.
SO TRUE!!! We rode through a terrible snow storm, on our way back home from Sturgis this year! Never been so happy to pay for a overpriced hotel room in my life when we popped out into to Red Lodge!!! But I'm sure that pass is unreal if you have nice weather! For me I wish I would have had a sled instead of my bike!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your doing the right thing if your into riding and seeing good sites without pressure that is the way to do it, if you want to get drunk and get stressed in traffic go during the week, i personally don`t care for the bands and drunks ect, i like to ride not drink

Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year was my virgin year and I went the weekend before. Friday through Sunday. It wasn't crowded at all and all of the vendors and bars were open. It was great. Will def. be doing the same this year.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser
Smile

Thanks for the information guys,

Sounds like the Beartooth could be the most challenging aspect of this trip. So how much snow do they typically get in the middle of summer?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Maxima
RK,

Did you have to put the bike in a shipping crate? Or did they just strap it into the trailer. We have thought about shipping but figured we would need to build a shipping crate and arrange logistics for pick up and delivery and to be quite honest if it was only saving me $250-$300 I would just as soon rent.

We are looking to rent an Ultra Limited and a Road Glide Ultra.

Thanks for the help.
Max
I haven't had to crate my bike. Either the carrier will "crate" it, or they will strap it to a pallet & cover it. The local guy I used this year had a semi-sized trailer set up to hold 30 bikes, without a crate or pallet. Because of the logistics, I actually didn't see them load it, so I'm not certain how his was set up. The guys that referred me to the guy said he doesn't use pallets or crates. Whatever, round trip, not a scratch!

As to the logistics, you have to talk to the shipper to understand their pick-up / drop off process. As I said, I've had my bike picked up at my house, and returned to my house. I've also dropped it off at the HD dealer, and the shipper pick/drop there. This past year, I drop the bike off @ the shipper's facility, and picked it up there.

The only drawback (for some) is based on the timing of the shipment, you might be without your bike for a few days (or couple of weeks), before and /or after your trip.

This year, I dropped my bike off on July 4th, and got it back on August 20th. But, since I was taking off almost 2 wks to do Sturgis (+ seeing friends, etc), I was so busy @ work before and after my trip, I didn't have time to ride. Add in the Florida heat....I didn't mind not having the bike.

Just my experiences. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time. Keep us posted.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the Beartooth could be the most challenging aspect of this trip. So how much snow do they typically get in the middle of summer?
Very little and on the rare occasion it can be gone as quick as it came. You do have to plan tho for all kinds of weather from 30* to 110* when in this country.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer

In talking with the guy from our hotel, he said it was super early for them this year to get snow, and my wife's parents had went through there a few weeks before and said it was absolutely beautiful......like somebody mentioned above just be prepared. But even in good conditions, you would still want to be on your toes....some pretty crazy switch backs if the sign says 15 - 20 MPH I suggest you listen......... :-)