General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what temperature do pipes reach?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,699 Likes on 2,741 Posts
Default what temperature do pipes reach?

Is regular header wrap rated for 1000 degrees good enough? There are dressings to add a few hundred or lava wrap good for 1500, or is that overkill?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1000 degrees is more than good enough, the exhaust gas temps coming out the head are only about 800 degrees from memory and the pipes get no where near that hot.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Found this article on wrapping below .... Seems like 800 -1200 on the temp..
Or, As usual, a search came up with different opinions on how to do it.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq...0cfd04ba3c5cf9

Wrapping Your Motorcycle Pipes with Exhaust Insulating Wrap
May 31, 2008 by Hersey
Looking for an inxpensive and easy way to give your scoot a custom “old school” look? Try wrapping your pipes with exhaust header wrap. Perhaps your pipes are blue or scratched but other than that they function fine – why spend the money on a new set of pipes for the look when wrapping them will give them an awesome look for a fraction of the cost of new pipes.Besides the nice look there is also a chance of increasing your performance a bit. Wrapping the pipes with the insulating wrap keeps the pipes from radiating heat. This keeps the exhaust gases leaving the engine hotter which improves the flow of the gases out of the pipe. Another advantage is that this also keeps the heat that would normally radiate from the pipes off of you.
After installing the exhaust wrap I found that even after a good run down the Interstate I can touch the the wrapped part of the pipe with out burning the tips of my fingers off – yeah it is still hot but try touching a bare exhaust after a 25 mile, 85 mph run and see what happens to your hand, leg, or whatever (don’t try this – trust me it burns and HURTS! – very much bad).
Installing the Wrap
To install the exhaut wrap you will need the wrap, a good pair of sharp sissors, a way to clamp the wrap to the pipes, I used 2 1/2″ stainless steel hose clamps that I picked up at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks, and a second set of hands.
It will take nearly a 50′ roll of 2 inch exhaust wrap to wrap two 2 1/4″ motorcycle pipes, a little more or a little less depending on how much you over-lap, how much of the pipes you wrap, and the diameter of your pipes. I wrapped just over half of my pipes with about a 1/2″ overlap and it took all but about 7′ of the 50′ roll.
I have read and seen a lot of different ways to wrap your pipes. The primary difference in between these processes is how you wet the wrap. I have read that you just want to dampen the wrap with a spray bottle or that you want to soak it for an hour or 2 in a bucket. I did what I consider half way. I dumped the whole roll of wrap in a bucket of room temperature water and rolled it from there. I didn’t let it soak, just dumped it in the bucket and started rolling.

Remove the pipes form the bike and clean them up real good, you do not have to worry about polishing them up, just make sure they are good and clean. Gather all your materials together and drop the whole roll of exhaust wrap in the bucket of water.
Start wrapping at the bottom of the pipe and work towards the motor. Wrap around a few times overlapping each previous wrap about a 1/2″ then install one of the clamps where you started (this is where the second set of hands is helpfull). Once the clamp is installed just continue to warp the pipe as tight as possible overlapping each wrap about 1/2″ until you get to the end of the pipe. Cut the wrap, wrap it nice and tight and install another clamp.
Hang the finished pipe on the garage wall to dry and repeat the process for the other pipe. Once both pipes are wrapped hang them up and let them dry out some, over night should be fine. Then reinstall the pipes.
Once you are finished wrapping and you reinstall the pipes, open the garage door (trust me on this one) and fire up your scoot. Bring it up to operating normal operating temperature. The new wrap is going to smoke like hell and smell even worse. Let it run for a bit then shut her off and let the bike cool down. You will notice the first few times out on the road that the wrap will smoke a bit and it will smell really bad for a right good while. Also anytime the wrap gets wet it will smell.
You may also need to check your carburator jetting after you install the pipes as the wrapped pipes may cause your motor to run a bit leaner. Mine was running a bit rich anyway and it did lean it out a bit – since it was really running a little too rich in the first place I did not need to re-jet. If necessary re-jet then have fun.
Take Care – Ride FREE

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good article, the only thing I would add is that heat wrap can cause cracking of the exhaust pipes due to the higher temps they will be exposed to/cannot radiate away.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

okay, someone please explain to me how wrapping your pipes is gonna cause your motor to run leaner?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
okay, someone please explain to me how wrapping your pipes is gonna cause your motor to run leaner?
Supposedly by increasing exhaust flow by maintaining exhaust gas temperature. I would think that the gain is minimal.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cat in the Headpipe

Originally Posted by doer
Is regular header wrap rated for 1000 degrees good enough? There are dressings to add a few hundred or lava wrap good for 1500, or is that overkill?
The 1000 deg. F is good enough for most bikes that don't have a catalytic converter in the headpipe. Some california bikes and all the HD tournig bikes from 2010 on will have the catalytic converter in the headpipe.

If you leave the stock exhaust on a Cat bike you should use the 2000 deg.F wrap in the catalytic converter area at least. I have seen some glow a dull red in that area at night, that is around 1700 deg.F from the cat portion of the headpipe. I use the 2000 deg. header wrap sealer also.

Since you also may get caught in the rain the sealer will help keep the pipes dry. I think you get a little extra reduction in radiated heat from the sealer also.

The most of the heat on the touring bikes with the lower fairing especially comes from the Cat area. Most dump these OEM headpipes and go with a headpipe that does not have the Cat. If you are wrapping one of the aftermarket pipes I feel 1000 deg.F will be adequate but still would also use the sealer.

The sealer will stink and smoke for a few minutes so don't freak out, it will settle down after a few short rides!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll tell you how hot the pipes get - HOT! DAMN HOT! look at your heels.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 AM
rak1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhere below 212 degrees since I tried once to see if the pipes would light a piece of paper and it didn't light or smoke, but the head pipe has to be around 300ish I would guess.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IR Temperature gun

Originally Posted by rak1
Somewhere below 212 degrees since I tried once to see if the pipes would light a piece of paper and it didn't light or smoke, but the head pipe has to be around 300ish I would guess.
On a hot July or August day when you been sittin in traffic "at idle" take the temperature of the headpipe right behind the 02 sensors. Make sure you aim behind the heat shields.

You will be surprised how hot that cat gets!

Quick Reply: what temperature do pipes reach?