Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 6th gear light nessesary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts
Question Is the 6th gear light nessesary?

My 6th gear light sender is going out (light goes on and off randomly). I checked all the connections then pulled the sender and their are gear contact markes from two main shaft gear failers. Now every time the light goes on and off my red key light comes on soooo if the sensor has no other usefull purpose than to indicate that im in 6th gear then I will just unplug it till I get a chance to r&r it. Just tired of looking at the lights flash and that stupid red light comming on all the time. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Just tired of looking at the lights flash and that stupid red light comming on all the time. Thanks.
I don't need a light telling me I am in 6th, but this would bug the crap out of me as well. I would never know if the key light was on because of the gear or if it was another code. I would have to constantly check to make sure.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Frekkin exactly! Just need to know if the sender is tied to a function of the computer or not. After 4 years I think I know when I'm in sixth.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't call it necessary at all. In fact, if it was causing me problems, I would pull it too.

But, now that I have a Dakota Digital which shows me all the gears, I do like it.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but on my '09 there is not switch for the 6 gear light. The light is controlled by the ecm by road speed and engine rpm (or some crap like that). The switch screwed into the transmission is the neutral switch.

If the light is going out, there are couple of easy items to check first.

1) bad harness connection at ecm, unplug clean the contacts an reassembly with electrical grease.
2) clutch slipping
3) safety switch located at clutch lever
4) short in the safety switch wiring.

If those don't fix it, I have no idea. Of course if you are working on a older model bike, there may be a 6 gear light.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM
nasomi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't need it, just get a piece of electrical tape and put it over the light. Problem solved

Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the light is controlled by the ECM and not an independent sender.....wouldn't it flashing randomly while in 6th gear mean that something's probably "amiss" with the ECM?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at the wiring scematic it shows the 6th gear light is controled by the neutral switch as well as the ECM. I don't know how you'd ever disable it since it is a LED instead of a bulb.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion the light isn't a neccessity however it is electronically tied into the cruise control most likely thru the ECM and if it's causing your security sensor to activate, which you indicated by stating it is flashing, I would say that you have more serious issues pending then just an indicator light flashing. Unfortunately with all the electronics on the bikes it simply isn't as easy as unplugging these components. I'd be seeing my local dealer or a good independent shop who has the capabilities of diagnosing the electronic systems.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

All starting to make sence now. My neutral safty quit working about the same time. Ill try un hooking the sender and go buy a new one. I'm sure I'll be in there agian when the over run clutch fails agian. I just dont want to screw up any info that is nessisary for the computer to function properly. Thanks agian guy's!

Quick Reply: Is the 6th gear light nessesary?