General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM
1shaka
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic

I see a lot of forum members and adverisements generally for the Classic as opposed to the other two. Followed by the Standard, and occassionally the Custom. What made you pick the road king that you ride over the other two?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

I wanted hard bags, I would have preferred laced wheels as well but mine didn't come with them so next upgrade changing to a wheel of my choice :-)

Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price mostly. Bought mine off of ebay.......low miles and a good deal. The Custom has grown on me now and I'm glad it worked out like that. Great touring bike and a totally different look without the shield and sissy bar.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the looks of the custom the best

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default road king

after riding a 1976 superglide since december of 75, i decided to get a new bike. i chose the 05 road king standard with carb. i had to do some changes before it ever ran right, but have loved it ever since. i just wanted a good comfortable bike for me and the boss lady to ride on. the standard seemed like the most practicle of the three and i am not trying to impress anybody with custom looks. i am tied to a small business so i rarely get away for more than a couple of days at a time so didn't feel like i needed a full dresser. i'm 65 and if this bike will last any near as long al my last bike, i won't be needing another new bike.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I just sold my Classic, & loking to upgrade to another one. I don't care for the Custom 'cause I don't like the front fender, the lack of running lights,(FL front ends just look WRONG without running lights,IMHO)and that stupid chrome piece above the headlight.

I don't care for the standard 'cause I don't like the hard bags--too much "paint" in the rear of the bike, (not bad in BLACK, however) & makes the rearend look too square. I just like the look of the leather bags.

My GF has a Custom, but she upgraded to a Classic fender & trim, running lights, & spoked wheels. Along with the Custom's beautiful center console, it is the best looking RoadKing I know. But I keep telling her to dump the fruity looking spoiler. She likes it. WTH, she's a chick.

Last edited by dickey; 12-16-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

the classic is pretty sharp too

Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

BTW, since we're on RoadKings--before I sold my '05, I was toying with the idea of having my side covers painted black (the bike was red & silver) I figured black side covers would detract from the look of the side covers, which I feel makes a Harley look kinda "metric". (why I never liked FXRs) Has anybody ever seen, or photoshopped a RoadKing with black side covers? (other than a black BIKE)

When I get my new RoadKing, I am hoping it is black. If not, I will consider painting the sidecovers. I think RoadKings just have too much "paint" on the rear of the bike, ESPECIALLY with hard bags. Just too overwhelming.

Last edited by dickey; 12-16-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'03 Classic....I'm rather young (in the touring crowd) but have always been very old school, white walls and chrome spokes just pulled me in. Price and cruise control where the kicker in the deal.

I took a few batwings out but just couldn't stand having all that going on in front of me. The Road Glide does feel more open, but I like the classic look of a windshield. Travel a few hundred miles to your destination, pull the shield and cruise the strip. Best of both or you can even go as far as getting a batwing for the Kings.

My only complaint with the classic is the bags, there is nothing truly wrong with them but I would prefer locking hard bags. I've debated many times switching over to hard bags but so far have been unable to justify the price.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for the best bike my money could get me. It happened to be a Classic. I tried to keep an open mind about the final bike. Miles and condition were primary. I looked at quite a few bikes, I liked cobalt or black cherry, but still would have considered another color also. I used ebay and craigs list. Finally found my bike 5 miles from the house. 3,100 miles and clean.

Quick Reply: Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic