General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an FLHR because I prefer the hard bags over the classics, plus everything else was spot on, mileage, spec etc.

My ideal choice would have been an Custom, great looking bike. I did run a simlar fender to the custom, removed the crash bars to slim it down a bit.
Probably would have removed the riding lamps if I'd have kept it much longer too.

Will have one again one day, either when I can afford a second harley or when I get too old to ride round like a loon all the time

Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I went with the FLHR. I like them both. But I got a great deal on the one I got and could not pass it up.

The hard bags are tough to beat.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
rklew
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the standard, but I like the classic also.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the RK Custom. I'm not sure why HD discontinued the Custom model. I prefer the looks of the Custom over the Standard and Classic models.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first began planning on buying my bike, there was only ONE requirement in my mind: It MUST be a Harley.
OK, fine, but what then?
In 1995, I was looking at several models, like the Softie Heritage Classic, Electra Glide Classic, as well as the different Road Kings. Then I saw the pearl yellow R.K. Custom, and thought "WOW!".
Well, I eventually wound up at the local HD dealer, and looked at one in person, in the sunlight. Boy, did that paint try to pull me in! I looked at the price, and thought the timing wasn't quite right, so I looked at the other bikes I liked. I was really disappointed when I sat on any Softail, 'cause they were all too small for me. I just couldn't see mounting forward controls on the front axle. Therefore, I was pretty much required to obtain a touring bike at a reasonable price.
I considered the new (at that time) Street Glide, but with the stuff I wanted to add on, it just didn't pencil out.
So, I kept my eye on the new rides once in a while, and began to scour the interwebs and local classifieds to find something. I had cash, and I was going to find a bike before the summer of '06 slipped by.
Finally, I found one on http://www.hogs4sale.com that I liked. The price was fair, low miles, close to my home, and the owner was easy to work with. I took the train up to Vancouver, Washington. He met me at the depot, and took me to his house where the bike was. I was prepared with a bank check in the amount he was asking, as I thought it was a very fair price. Little did I realize just how much he was throwing in with all the extra parts. Over $7000.00 once I totaled it all up from the accessories catalog! Two after-market seats, a tour-pak, 2 luggage racks, sissy bar & pad, chrome fork lowers, another air cleaner cover....the list goes on. So I gave him the check, we loaded the parts in his van, and he followed me to my sis's house a couple of miles away. I shipped the parts back home, and got on the highway on my Road King Classic!

So, that's why I bought what I bought.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
the classic is pretty sharp too

That is the wife's bike! You been sneaking out to AZ?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the classic because of the vintage styling. I think I'd rather have hard bags, but I'll leave it for the time being. Like many others, I don't care for the fender or spoiler on the custom.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a sucker for the "older Classic" look......seems especially fitting somehow since we live right off of and I have become somewhat of a Route 66 history buff.

Attached Thumbnails Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-wo-508-to-518-003.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it was just a deal too good to pass up , but I really like the bike and the tubless tires make for easy roadside repairs of a flat . I like the room of the hard bags too .

Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I like the looks of the custom the best
BAM! Me too.

Don't have a Road King but I love the Custom.

Quick Reply: Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic