General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
scott-tricia
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago 03 King
'03 Classic....I'm rather young (in the touring crowd) but have always been very old school, white walls and chrome spokes just pulled me in. Price and cruise control where the kicker in the deal.

I took a few batwings out but just couldn't stand having all that going on in front of me. The Road Glide does feel more open, but I like the classic look of a windshield. Travel a few hundred miles to your destination, pull the shield and cruise the strip. Best of both or you can even go as far as getting a batwing for the Kings.

My only complaint with the classic is the bags, there is nothing truly wrong with them but I would prefer locking hard bags. I've debated many times switching over to hard bags but so far have been unable to justify the price.
Check out these locks I found the other day...

http://www.inertiawrx.com/road.htm

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

I have seen beautiful examples of all 3.
but the custom always stuck in my mind.
when I first sat on one, the stock pulledback handlebars and the lowered suspension felt as though it was designed to fit me perfectly.
basically, all the trim of the streetglide without the fairing and with streamlined leather bags.
I've had to do very little to the bike to make it any better...to suit me.
love it and never looked back

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
cdculbertson
Tourer

I originally went to the dealership to trade in my '03 Road Glide for a Heritage Classic. The salesman said that I would not be happy coming off of a touring bike to a Softail, given my riding preferences, and pointed me to an '07 RK Custom with low miles and a good price. I loved it as soon as I rode it. The lowered suspension suits my 30" inseam better than the standard RK, and I love the way it lacks the running lights and badge on the front fender. I guess I just like the cleaner look. I have to admit that the deep cobalt pearl paint grabbed me as well.

Mine came with Heritage bars on it, but I keep thinking about finding a pair of the original beach bars to bring back the original look.

My son rides a RK Classic, and I have to say that I like its looks almost as much as my Custom.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I wanted the leather bags and spoked wheels, so Classic for me

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Classic be the one for me.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
creepster
Advanced

I bought a classic because I liked the way it looked, and it was the only model RK that had cruise control at the time. I still like the cruise control, but ended up switching from the wire wheels to mags because of wobble issues caused by rear wheel spokes loosening.

Originally Posted by 1shaka
I see a lot of forum members and adverisements generally for the Classic as opposed to the other two. Followed by the Standard, and occassionally the Custom. What made you pick the road king that you ride over the other two?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:58 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My first 2 Road Kings were bought used in 1999 and 2002. Both deals happened to be on Classics. In 2004 I sold my FLHRC to get the brand new FLHRS Custom that had just come out because I have a 29" inseam and the whole bike felt like it was built for me. Loved that bike (I eventually put hardbags, apes and got rid of the chrome "windscreen") until someone else just had to have it a couple of weeks ago. Sold it, and now I am finishing up my new FLHR standard. If the Custom was still available brand new, I would have gotten one, but for now it will be the standard.

Attached Thumbnails Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-1998-flhrci.jpg   Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-2004-flhrs.jpg   Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-2004-flhrs-9.jpg   Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-2009-flhr-8.jpg  

Last edited by TW; 12-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Standard because I prefer the look of the hard bags. I will admit the classic is a very good looking bike, just a little to retro for me. Growing up I became enamored with the Shriner bikes in all the local parades, to me those hard bag FLH's were what a Harley was supposed to look like. Liked them ever since.

Below, 1965 Shriner FLH Electra Glide

Attached Thumbnails Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic-hd-1965-shriner-fl-electra-glide.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

I spent a long time looking at Harley's in general at first - from Dyna's to Ultras. In the past, I rode a Kawasaki Ninja liter-class sport bike. As I refined my ideas for the style of riding I would most likely do, the choice turned to touring bikes. Then, further refinement of what I would like to do led me to the Road King. I didn't want a fairing, didn't want a radio, or a cup holder, or lowers, or tour pak, or many of the add-ons and extras found on the other touring bikes. I did want a windshield, crash bars, and comfort with quick response (nimble handling, at least for a large bike). Then I looked at what's available and what's included. For looks, the Classic has great styling, but I didn't want tube tires nor spoke wheels (they do look good, but not what I wanted). As for the bags, the leather bags look great (styling), but I didn't really have a "want" there, other than I did want bags.

After some time of looking through eBay and Craigslist (search was refined to the South East and to Harley's), I became convinced that the Road King was the right bike for me, and it is. Just so happened that a fellow in my area had an '09 Standard for sale in the fastest color and had listed it on Craigslist. There was one other that sold before I could get a chance to see it, but the one I now own was put up for sale about two weeks later. As soon as I saw the bike, I knew I was going to buy it. I am very satisfied with my purchase and with the bike.

It's mostly stock though it was lowered by an inch, does have Avon grips with Heritage-style handlebars, and has cruise control (a must have in my opinion). It is a dream to ride though I do want to change out the seat and I plan on a Stage One upgrade at some point, but I ride quite a bit, so I'll likely need tires and other maintenance before that. I don't need the kind of speed I had with the Ninja (150+ mph), but I do like the pull of the Harley. As I have said before, I ride for the distant horizon, the thunder that's under, and the feeling of freedom riding brings me. That's why I bought a Road King. But that's just me, YMMV.

Last edited by jlfabian; 12-16-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add handlebars
Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with the standard because it was a good deal and I liked it. Also since I ride to work a lot I liked the option to lock my saddlebags. I did look into a custom, I had emailed the dealer to see if they still had it and for the price but it took them like 2 weeks to get back to me, so it was too late.
I like them all and would've been happy with any of the 3 styles.

Quick Reply: Road King: Custom, Standard, Classic