General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Splandman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10ring
Same thing happened to me recently. I went into Foreman H-D in Stillwater , Oklahoma, and was informed that a catalog would be TWELVE DOLLARS. "After all", the girl explained, "WE have to pay for these and you don't expect us to just give them out for free, do you?" I did. I also went down to Harley-Davidson World in Edmond, Oklahoma, got my free catalog and left that dealership with $400.00 dollars worth of goodies, plus that womens's leather jacket my wife just had to have!
When I got home yesterday there was an H-D box on the couch. The missus had purchased a rain suit for me, that she found inside that free catalog, from H-D World.
Foreman has been a very good dealership but they really shot themselves in the foot this time. Penny wise and pound foolish.
This surprises me. I always thought Foreman was a really good dealership. You would think their overhead costs would be much less than HD World in Edmond or the one on I-40. (bought my bike there)

I go into Foreman quite a bit when I go to Stillwater for work, I like their store. May have to rethink that and keep giving my business to HD World.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 PM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Does anyone think that dealers institute a policy, like charging for catalogs, without the general manager's input?
I think you are on to something. I went to my dealer to get a different seat. The one I wanted was not in stock and the parts guy said I would have to pay a re-stocking fee, if I did not buy the seat. I wanted to try it and make sure it was comfortable before I shell out good coin. I went to the GM and explained I needed to try the seat first. He agreed and ordered a seat. He said that there was no way I would pay the fee. He told me that the parts guy was out of line and was doing this on his own and would speak to him. It all worked out for me. Parts catalogs are FREE.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSpringerSE
All the complaining in the world will not change general dealership attitude...unfortunately I think there are more "bad" ones than good. To make the issue worse I think hard economic times make bad dealers worse...anyway back to the topic FREE CATALOG:

You can order it right to your door for FREE on the HD website:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...log-offer.html

thx

just ordered mine

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all this is weird to me i get a free one every year from harley without asking and other catolgs about every quarter

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

When I bought my Road Glide in '06,I received a catalog for the first couple of years.Now that I bought a new bike in Sept.,I have not recieved one.I even call the salesman and he said he would send one to me.Has not happened.

Do the dealers send them or have them sent?

Anyway,I just used the prvious link to get one.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLSpringerSE
You can order it right to your door for FREE on the HD website:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...log-offer.html
Springer - Thanks for the link.

To the rest of you... Really? $6.00 is causing this much of a ruckus? Let's be a little understanding fellow Harley enthusiasts. Those catalogs do cost a fortune to print and ship. I like the dude's idea to get your money back if you buy a part from them. But really... someone has to understand that times are tough right now. And to kill a billion trees for a catalog that more people will just put on a shelve and not look at it is way more of a injustice than being charged for it. I have a catalog at home... and I still look online for most of my accessories 99% of the time anyway. Sorry... maybe I am the one who is wrong... it just seems like there are so many more important things in the world around us to be upset about.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
Springer - Thanks for the link.

To the rest of you... Really? $6.00 is causing this much of a ruckus? Let's be a little understanding fellow Harley enthusiasts. Those catalogs do cost a fortune to print and ship. I like the dude's idea to get your money back if you buy a part from them. But really... someone has to understand that times are tough right now. And to kill a billion trees for a catalog that more people will just put on a shelve and not look at it is way more of a injustice than being charged for it. I have a catalog at home... and I still look online for most of my accessories 99% of the time anyway. Sorry... maybe I am the one who is wrong... it just seems like there are so many more important things in the world around us to be upset about.
bs. i can understand them not sending the catalogs via mail, but to not give them to you when you come into the dealership is bogus.

besides, that $6.00 that they want to charge, they will more than make up for on the profit from one $8.00 chrome do dad.......

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 PM
mea4dxl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered my cat. from that link. thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

thanks for the link also ordered my book