General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Six bucks for a catalog? I think this dealer is being penny wise and dollar foolish!

Jim

Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Ha!!, I did better than all of you guys. I called the MoCo direct. The young ****
on the phone told me, "those things cost a lot of money to print and mail out every
year, we save a lot of money by letting you pick them up from your dealer when you
go in." I said, "I have bought a new Harley for 7 of the last 8 years and have always
had a P/A book mailed to me." She said, "sir, if you will give me a CC number, I would be
happy to send you one." I said, "you're crazy!!"
I never seem to be at a dealer in a vehicle or on the Heritage so I can carry a catalog.
I did need a rear tire back in the fall so I drove to Smith Bros in TN. After I bought a
200.00 Metzeler tire, the parts guy gave me a catalog.

Attached Thumbnails Dealer Rant-100_0743.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had to pay for a parts and accessories catalog. I knew HD quit mailing them, but I have received them free from a few different dealers over the years. I just picked up a free 2011catalog the other day....I received an E mail from HD reminding me to pick up my free catalog from my local dealer.

Tech23

Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
fyrfytr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

I think each dealer makes up their own policy concerning catalogs. Used to get one in the mail. Now the dealer has them for sale at the parts counter. Went in and bought a oil filter from them, and they gave me one. Told them I didnt want it, if its $6.00. Parts guy said no its free. It should have been for what they get for an oil filter.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geoff
You should pass your comments along to the store's manager.
Originally Posted by veegee
Gotta remember that these dealerships have owners and the folks you talk to are usually employees that are following the owners procedures. At the local dealership I have bought two bikes last year 11 months apart. I got three t-shirts out of the deal (one for me and two for the wife) but the salesman that sold me the bikes paid for them out of his pocket because the owner of the dealership is a frugal man.

Ranting at the employees won't get your point across nearly as well as a conversation with the man at the helm. I get a P&A catalog and a Screamin Eagle catalog for free every year. When the new ones come out the part person I deal with makes it a point to hand them to me, I don't even have to ask. Of course I also have a good working relationship with the dealership also. I decided a long time ago, since I live in an area where the indy shops are on the small side if I want to have options the dealer will be one of the places I buy parts.

As noted, none of us have to trade with folks we don't care for but driving two hundred miles to buy parts just to prove a point is not something I would choose to do.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM
bobbydeuce
Cruiser

I compare my local dealership to Neiman Marcus aka Needless Markup. "uninformed" service guys that will let you stand around 30 minutes before telling you to make an appointment. Way over priced on parts, service & accessories. Most t-shirts are $40. I just don't get it.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Eh, hope they close it down too - good riddance if this is how they treat customers.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Reichpapers
There has to more to the story. This just seems so inexplicable. There is no reason as a salesman to do that based on the information you supplied.
Maybe not, might have just been the salesman had a case of Moy Macho and figured the little lady couldn't be there to buy a bike, had to be there because her boyfriend/husband/whatever was there and that's who he wanted to talk to.

Last summer the wife and I went out to buy her new bike, wasn't a Harley, but salesmen are salesmen, you wouldn't believe the number of guys who just ignored her, even after she said she wanted to buy a bike.

We ended up passing up probably 6 or 7 dealers because they kept either ignoring her or talking to me...even after I told the one dude, "I ain't buying it, she is" he still kept talking to me.

Al

Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by leanhog
Making a "free" online request does not mean it will arrive. With thousands of dealers worldwide, can there be enough printed for all who wish to have one? The policy should be something like this. Bring your receipt and the $6 fee will be credited to your first order at same dealer ($100 min.).

i've never had one that didn't......

Originally Posted by Beak
I think each dealer makes up their own policy concerning catalogs. Used to get one in the mail. Now the dealer has them for sale at the parts counter. Went in and bought a oil filter from them, and they gave me one. Told them I didnt want it, if its $6.00. Parts guy said no its free. It should have been for what they get for an oil filter.

yeah, who would pay 8.95 for a filter when you can get a k&n for 16.95?

Last edited by skratch; 12-16-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Rant