General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taz ride
Yesterday the wife and I stopped by Seaford HD in Delaware to do some shopping and looking around. We were greeted by a salesperson upon entry, wife expressed her liking about a two tone ultra glide on display. The salesperson had no comment and walked off. Went to the parts department and bought a few items. After the items were paid for I ask the salesman for a new parts catalog and was told that they are $6.00 each.
Same thing happened to me recently. I went into Foreman H-D in Stillwater , Oklahoma, and was informed that a catalog would be TWELVE DOLLARS. "After all", the girl explained, "WE have to pay for these and you don't expect us to just give them out for free, do you?" I did. I also went down to Harley-Davidson World in Edmond, Oklahoma, got my free catalog and left that dealership with $400.00 dollars worth of goodies, plus that womens's leather jacket my wife just had to have!
When I got home yesterday there was an H-D box on the couch. The missus had purchased a rain suit for me, that she found inside that free catalog, from H-D World.
Foreman has been a very good dealership but they really shot themselves in the foot this time. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Reichpapers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taz ride
We were greeted by a salesperson upon entry, wife expressed her liking about a two tone ultra glide on display. The salesperson had no comment and walked off.
There has to more to the story. This just seems so inexplicable. There is no reason as a salesman to do that based on the information you supplied.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sent the request for my FREE one!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Reichpapers
There has to more to the story. This just seems so inexplicable. There is no reason as a salesman to do that based on the information you supplied.
+1. A good salesman will talk to anyone. However There's probably more to the story. Maybe the salesman just got reamed out in a sales meeting and had a crappy attitude (it happens), maybe he has problems at home. I've also seen salesman drop everything they are doing when another customer walks through the door that they've been waiting to close a big sale with.

In the car business, salesman take turns with the "up's" that come through the door. An "up" is a person who LOOKS like they could possibly buy something. If a guy drove up in a $200 clunker and is kicking the tires on a $50K mercedes chances are you're not going to be selling him a car. If an averaged sized woman is looking at a full sized Harley dresser you probably wont be closing a deal on that either (although some average size women DO ride them) but the odds are against a sale that day. it is what it is.

Last edited by BikerV; 12-15-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
leanhog
Road Warrior

Making a "free" online request does not mean it will arrive. With thousands of dealers worldwide, can there be enough printed for all who wish to have one? The policy should be something like this. Bring your receipt and the $6 fee will be credited to your first order at same dealer ($100 min.).

Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Ockam
Tourer

If you don't mind the trip go to Hannum's HD in Chadd's Ford PA or Media PA. Great guys, no pushy sales stuff, and I always get a parts catalog for free. Go in a few times, talk to the folks there, and they will get to know your name. If you need a good sales person in Chadds, ask for Dell or Terry. I bought my Fatboy Lo from them and they sold my wife her Sportster. They typically sell bikes about 1k to 1.5k under competition and are just decent guys. Not say you still won't have to negotiate a better apr when financing or something, but you know the deal.

I have been to the Seaford Delaware store, and I rate them with Mike's Famous Harley Davidson in Smyrna and New Castle Delaware. Those guys should be selling used cars. Total P.o.S who treat their customers like crap...unless they smell your money, then they are all over you until they make the sale...then drop you like a rock. It is that whole feeling of entitlement thing, like you owe them your patronage. My wife took the riders edge coarse through Mike's and it was terrible. Condescending instructors who really just tore down new riders confidence. She did so much better through the DMV it was amazing.

Another good one is Chesapeake HD near Port Deposit Maryland. Good group of guys, and they collaborate with Hannum's for some of the events in the summer. Especially good rides, and they support the Union Hotel and tavern, which is a good times bikers hang out in the summer.

Last edited by Ockam; 12-15-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added content
Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lucky for me most of the dealers around here are real good and will hook you up when they can. yeah I have never paid for a catalog.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
FLSpringerSE, thanks for the link!

Double that!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't say anything about the dealerships that charge for the catalogs other than they are ripoffs and it's going to come back to bite them.

The dealership that I frequent gives them out for free... Hell, usually, when I walk through the door, they know me well enough that they're pushing the regular, Screaming Eagle, and supplemental catalogs into my hands when they get them.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
iupsig97
Tourer

They used to have a stack of them at my local dealer, you could just grab one anytime... don't see them sitting out anymore, desperate times I guess.

Oh, and thanks also for the link FLSpringerSE

Quick Reply: Dealer Rant