General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 year old wanting to get first harley, pls advice :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw the ad for the prior mentioned 04 Sporty for sale in HDF classifieds. Man that looks like a smoking deal to me. I have absolutely no affiliation with the selling member and the bike is in NC so might be tricky to swing that deal, but I think it gives a good idea of what's out there!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through the Dealer is good for purchasing a service plan or warranty with your bike. You might also get free oil change or something as well and you can negotiate financing rather than dropping the money all at once.

The downside is, there is a dealer mark up and you will spend less for the bike through a private seller. But all you can buy is the bike. So if you want a warranty, financing, or a service plan, the dealer is the best option. If you want to save money up front, and don't mind the risk of spending more money long term for service, then a private seller is the best bet.

HD dealers are a mixed bunch. Some are no better than the typical car sales guy, wants to up sell you, get as much money from you as they can, and then want you to disappear after the deal. Others come across as great guys who are trying to do whats best for their customer.

Either way, it is a business, how they want to conduct that business is truthfully is up to each dealer. Don't just stop in one dealer, and be careful of anyone who is too pushy or too nice. Shop around, even if it means a bit of travel. Once you find a dealer you like, and if you decide to buy from them, it really can be a great experience if they get to know you by name and have you participate in dealer events.

It helps to know the bike you want ahead of time, and you have a handle on that. If you do get the 883, you can upgrade the engine for around $1200. which is a whole lot less than a new bike. You can also get the tank swapped out for a 4 gallon, if you start with a smaller one, for less than $800. These bikes are totally customizable, not like a car.

As far as insurance, Progressive is pretty good. They gave me the best deal. Insurance is tricky though, you really need to sit down and look at your coverage. Make sure there are no loop holes. Like the Harley, motorcycle insurance is customizable. If you get a cheap plan, you may have a high deductable (how much out of pocket for repair) or incomplete coverage...like no coverage on "secondary roads" (which may be the majority of your travel!).

Stay safe, stay alert, and ride smart.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:20 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks for all the info guys!

I'm going to collate it all so I can refer to when I'm in SoCal.

I'll post a pic of my bike and how things turn out when I get to America in January

Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance should be cheaper on a 883 vs. a 1200. Most insurance companies hike the cost at 1000 cc.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You like the roar of a harley? Well, good luck with that in California.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

take the msf class definitely.

as far as the bike, i'd worry about getting the bike first and making it look the way you want second.

start scouring ebay and craigslist in the socal area for sportsters and i'm sure you're going to come across a deal.

good luck whatever you do.