General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain & eyewear

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
rreffner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain & eyewear

OK, I am one of those lucky guys who needs to wear prescription glasses. I rode to Road Atlanta a few weeks ago wearing my 1/2 helmet and had a full face onboard. I saw rain up ahead and stopped to put on raingear and switched to the fullface, got back on the road and had big time fogging. The face shield fogged (it was cracked open at the bottom t prevent fogging) AND my glasses fogged up. It was very hot and humid. I had to get off the highway ASAP. This brings me to the question what should I wear? Obviously I want to be able to see. I need to wear glasses for far and near vision. I have been thinking about goggles to wear over my prescription glasses with whatever helmit.

What have you all been wearing? Tips & suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rain & eyewear

The Vented goggles designed to work with prescription glasses work well. I have a special pair of sun glasses that will allow me to wear my prescription glasses if I need to.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LASIK. It's a miracle. You won't regret it.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to try some anti fog solution that you can get from a local Scuba shop

Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer

I use an Oakley M-Frame with a perscription adapter from SVED Optics for everything. So far it's the only thing I've used that doesn't fog up

Old 09-26-2006, 07:37 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Rain feels like razorblades at 30 mph on your face. Buy a helmet that is vented and keep your faceshield open a tiny bit if necessary. I used to ride in the rain all the time. I would never wear a half helmet in the rain. Good luck. I found that getting a better helmet usually helps with this problem, but then I am a helmet snob. LOL.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
badmo
Road Master

On my full face I have a Pro-Shield antifog insert that sticks to the inside of the shield, it works awesome. On my glasses I use Cat Crap. Not real cat crap the stuff they sell for ski googles, it works great too.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LookMaNoHands
I use an Oakley M-Frame with a perscription adapter from SVED Optics for everything. So far it's the only thing I've used that doesn't fog up
I concur on the Oakleys. Just caught in some rain last weekend and never fogged.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This year I changed how I deal with the rain, and given where I live, I get caught out in the rain a lot.
On trips I'd take my half helmet AND a full-face helmet for rain. IMO, the full-face took up too much space for my liking, given how often it saw action. You can carry a lot of stuff where a full-face used to reside.
My half helmet has a visor held on by three screws. I simply bought a shield for the rain. I can have it on inside of two minutes using a coin on the side of the road. My glasses never fog up,....in real hard rain they'll get wet but it never bothers me. The full-face sits at home in the corner.
A shield is relatively cheap, give it a shot.

CN

Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 AM
stubby
Road Captain

I have never worn a full face helmet. If you do and like it find one that is designed to not fog. If you go with a shorter lid I have been wearing coccoons for months. Variety of sizes to fit your glasses and good lense. I wear clear goggles if caught in rain. Buddy of mine uses a lift up shield, clear, from Harley. $20, he lifts it up during foggy times and says it works.

Quick Reply: Rain & eyewear