General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBAY Question Again-Brand of Rebuilt ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBAY Question Again-Brand of Rebuilt ?

Don't know if this is an issue and something to stay clear of. Would you stay clear of something like this ?

They call it a Rebuilt Title. I seen quite a few of these types of titles on Ebay.

I think I would like to stay clear of this type of transaction, I think It can only cause troubles and for a few hundred dollars more, I can get one that never had issues.

Whats your opinions

I just did a cut n paste from a ebay seller page. Believe me, this is not my advertisement.

I AM AN INDEPENDENT DEALER AND BUY AND SELL ALOT OF HARLEY'S..TO DATE OVER 115 BIKES..SOME OF THE BIKES ARE INSURANCE SETTLEMENT BIKES,AS WAS THIS ONE..THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE "EASY FIX" BIKES..DAMAGE WAS MINOR AND ALL REPAIRS HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY AND PROFESSIONALLY COMPLETED..THE BIKE WILL COME WITH A NORTH CAROLINA CLEAR TITLE WITH A BRAND OF REBUILT..

Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a friend who has a rebuilt Road King. Insurance was not a problem for him (in Nevada). The bike is near perfect, but that depends on the rebuilder. The book value of the bike is 13.6k, he paid 7500 for it.

I wouldn't avoid a rebuild, but I would make sure I bought it locally and that the rebuilder would be willing to help with issues arising on it.

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 12-12-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the title says rebuild, or salvage, it's worth about half than one without a salvage title. Doesn't matter how minor the damage, it was still totaled out by an insurance company for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with buying them, but you would have to get it pretty cheap in order to not lose on the deal

Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Abbinc83
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
As long as the title says rebuild, or salvage, it's worth about half than one without a salvage title. Doesn't matter how minor the damage, it was still totaled out by an insurance company for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with buying them, but you would have to get it pretty cheap in order to not lose on the deal

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think I ever owned a Harley that didn't have a salvage title.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

There is a place near here in Goldsboro NC that does this...mostly salvage titles....great deal it you plan on keeping the bike but when it comes to resale?????

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

I think (as others have hinted) these bikes can be a great deal IF you are planning on keeping them . Salvage title can scare alot of people away for resale , as you can imagine since you're asking yourself before considering it .

Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a salvage rebuilder... cars, trucks, boats, rv's, motorcycles. Nothing wrong with them as long as it is done right. I rebuilt my bike... the original owner layed it down with 87 miles on the odometer... the insurance company "totaled" it... I bought it for about 20% of book... rebuilt it and have ridden it for about 80,000 trouble free miles.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all my bikes have been basket cases, i wouldnt shy away from a re-built or slavage title, given i wasnt paying anymore then half of what the book list price is. but i like bikes under $3-5K so LOL i guess i be buying basket cases for awhile still * till this comign spring hehehe

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the input. This guy was trying to sell just a tad under NADA, from what you guys are saying, he is asking way too much.

Quick Reply: EBAY Question Again-Brand of Rebuilt ?