General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of going with SERT

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:39 AM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of going with SERT

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: bh73

I have a couple of SERT questions for you guy's.

1. Does installing the sert void your factory warranty?

2. Is it easy to adjust the maps for pipes other than screaming eagle?
No it doesn't void your warranty and the SERT is not installed like a PCIII is. The SERT is only the interface between the computer which is usually a laptop and your bikes ECM (Computer) and used to program the ECM and is then removed until you to need to use it to adjust or tweek something again, or if you change something out that requires a re-program of the ECM. Once you use it on your bike, that is the only ECM that it can be used with after that. There are many threads pertaining to the SERT so just type in SERT in the search box.

At our local dealer if they use the SERT or power commander the warranty is still good to go. I don't know about the 07's because now the EPA is involved and to mess with the air/fuel mix may bring them down on the dealer. It will happen soon just like the autos.

I found the SERT to be too expensive, almost $500 plus the Dyno time. I did the V&H fuelpak for $213 and saved all that money. Easy to install and set up. I am a finance guy not a wrench and I did it quickly.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bh73

I have a couple of SERT questions for you guy's.

1. Does installing the sert void your factory warranty?

2. Is it easy to adjust the maps for pipes other than screaming eagle?
1. I hope not since the dealer loaded maps and moded them 2 different times, and I purchased it the same day as the bike and everything is covered for 2 years including the SERT, the Screamin' Eagle A/C and Exhaust.

2. I don't know yet but will find out soon.

Also remember you don't install the SERT, it is only the interface, software and cables, it's the little black box between the computer and your bikes ECM (computer) and is removed after your map is loaded and modified unlike the PCIII which has to remain in your bike.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:22 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dealer put on V&H Straightshots, SERT and SE air cleaner when the bike was new. They said it will not affect the warranty if WE do it (of course)! The bike runs excellent, good and strong with no snap, crackle or pop.

Rick

Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 AM
hogjockey
Intermediate

I'm told that nothing you do to your bike will void your warranty unless the dealer can establish that your modification directly contributed to the mechanical failure which you want your warranty to cover. Which means if you put a PC III on your bike and then have a claim for warranty work for a problem with the transmission you're probably on solid ground. If you put a PCIII on your bike and then make a claim for an ECM malfunction you'd probably have a rough road to hoe. One good thing about the PCIII is that if you get a different bike you can just reinstall the same unit on the new bike. With the SERT you can't do that.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

dont waste your money, get the pc111