General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?

I like the old school chopper look of these bikes, but have never rode a hardtail.

How much more comfortable & reliable are these modern kits compared to the real deal (ie.50's Pan head)?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...WAX%3AIT#v4-37

Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,231 Likes on 4,776 Posts

With a hard mount seat that thing will beat the **** out of you. I'd at the very least put a spring seat on it.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had an AMEN hardtail in the 70s. loved it,most roads are fine but a concrete hiway with the seams every 20 feet or so . you know the roads that in your car go thump,thump.thump. those roads feel like someone kicking you in the *** over and over.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are young and under 25 years of age and have a healthy spine, a hardtail may not bother you; however, if you are near the age of most of us in this forum....A hardtail would be a good project for bike shows and not a daily ride!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 PM
grandparon45
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut my teeth on a flat black '51 panhead chopper with the stock wishbone hardtail frame, suicide clutch, suicide shift, spool front hub, and a 10" over springer with apehangers and a sissy bar as tall as I was; That was back in '71 when I was in the army stationed at Ft. Bragg. It was not built for comfort, and neither are the new ones with a hardtail frame. They are built to ride a short distance, like to a bike show, in the daylight. As far as reliablity goes, I personally would put my money on the panhead over any of the aftermarket bikes built today.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
I like the old school chopper look of these bikes, but have never rode a hardtail.

How much more comfortable & reliable are these modern kits compared to the real deal (ie.50's Pan head)?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...WAX%3AIT#v4-37

Never rode a hardtail? You should take the time to find one you can ride for a day or so. Then you will never buy one.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Tail!

That looks like a pretty cool bike, if a Hardtail is your cup of tea. I had 2 of them, loved em, but don't want another one.

Like the other post stated, for a short distance there OK, a long distance ride on a hardtail, will wear your *** out!!!

You might check this out:

http://www.dreammachinesoftexas.com/...ch-Texas-75234

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grandparon45
I cut my teeth on a flat black '51 panhead chopper with the stock wishbone hardtail frame, suicide clutch, suicide shift, spool front hub, and a 10" over springer with apehangers and a sissy bar as tall as I was; That was back in '71 when I was in the army stationed at Ft. Bragg. It was not built for comfort, and neither are the new ones with a hardtail frame. They are built to ride a short distance, like to a bike show, in the daylight. As far as reliablity goes, I personally would put my money on the panhead over any of the aftermarket bikes built today.
Dude, I lived in Ogden for 5-years! On the corner of 24th and Monroe right next to J. Paul Stockdale's Law Firm Bldg...Small World!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about the Softail chopper kits, any better for ride comfort? I presently have an 07 Softail Custom, and have no complaints, whatsoever, regarding the ride.

As far as reliability, what about an S&S Panhead look-alike engine, wouldn't that be a better candidate than a genuine Panhead ?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,453 Likes on 17,681 Posts

If your in your 20's hardtail will work for you a while just fine . About that kit the RevTec motors suck they are junk to be avoided . In reality you can put that bike together for $10,000 or under yourself .

Quick Reply: Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?