General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joboo1966
There are some great softail choppers n kits out there that give u the hardtail look with a softail suspension and offer a superior ride.
Do you of anyone offering an old school (60's-70's) looking chopper kit with Softail suspension?

All the Softail Chopper kits I see have a modern look.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Here in FL where the roads are mostly smooth a hardtail is no problem, just keep your eye out for big bumps, especially in turns. On good roads I forget mine has no rear suspension. It's a blast.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:16 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with above. I don't think the ride is any harsher than any of the new low Sportsters.

Bwana

Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shocks are good, rigid is for short rides after 25 YO. Your back will thank you when your in your late 50's I only have a slight limp and 1- L side hip R&R. Kickstart knee needed only repair. Right side hip is starting to talk to me about the changes in the seasons now.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a hardtail bike but i have a solo seat on mine it not that bad of a ride ihave a sport with a bolt on hard tail to but with a stock front end . i seen one of the kit bikes i like them mine has the ss 96 old style shovel on it ..i love the hardtails bike

Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Do you of anyone offering an old school (60's-70's) looking chopper kit with Softail suspension?

All the Softail Chopper kits I see have a modern look.

Thanks
There are a ton of sites with roller chassis, rigid, soft. Just google it

Here is a link to some frames
http://www.south-side-kustoms.com/Ro...andFrames.html
http://www.rollingthunderframes.com/index.html

Attached Thumbnails Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?-picture305.jpg  

Last edited by wiredwilly; 12-13-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
GL as you might have figured out by now I've been in the custom bike building business since the only parts catalog around was the Jammers handbook all 28 pages of it . I have never nor will I ever buy a bike in a showroom just not me .

I dealt with the explosion of "Custom " factory kit choppers that hit the scene so heavy starting back the late 90's moonlighting at a few shops for fun and extra pocket money . The tech school certificate grads have no clue how tune a non stock motor it seems and I can , built enough of them over the years .

All non OEM Harley look a like motors have their quirks but the RevTechs are the worse by far . They have odd displacement sizes , use proprietary parts sometimes and in general are a pain in the *** to tune and they don't last . Low end motors in the 80 to 88" range may be ok but why when a S&S will be much more solid base for the same money with lots of room for expandability & common parts interchange .

Only pic of any of my hardtails I have left after the house fire this one survived , rode it 4yrs at around 150,000+ miles but I was 2 " shorter for it .
Mine has an Ultima motor. The 107" cost about the same as the 80" S&S but came with ignition & carb...The S&S doesn't.

ETA. Nice ride!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

With the mass volume of used Harleys on the markets, it would be a lot cheaper and easier to buy one cheap, buy a hardtail frame and swap that stuff over. Kits often have substandard cheapo parts to make a sale.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Damn that pic in the original post is just plain ugly IMO. 2/3 of my bikes are rigid and at 63 I cannot seem to give it up. Don't travel as fast anymore and stay to secondary roads by choice. Never been east of the Rockies on a rigid but managed to cover this side pretty well. Probably not the most comfortable bikes out there but using a stock frame and a tractor style pogo seat you can still get a decent ride without losing your kidneys in the process.

Someone asked about custom looking style modern day type choppers/bobbers.

Sucker Punch Sally seem to survive the "fad" phase of the chopper build motif crowd

http://www.suckerpunchsallys.com

Another is Zero Engineering

http://www.zero-eng.com

And if ya get really get a "bug" about building and owning choppers and bobbers, probably one of the best sites is the Jockey Journal. These guys build all types and not just HD brands

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Mine has an Ultima motor. The 107" cost about the same as the 80" S&S but came with ignition & carb...The S&S doesn't.

ETA. Nice ride!

Watch the timing on that one once you fire it up have Butch start at around 30 -32 deg unless the paperwork says otherwise , I've haven't done hands on with an Ultima yet but I hear good thing about them for stability . With the engines that size I've ended up with the timing down at 28 -32 degs so expect to have to play with it for a while after some break in miles . Keep me posted I eat this stuff for breakfast , feel like I need a smoke now where's my woman .........

And yes S&S got a real big ego going about 5 yrs ago the ****** .

Quick Reply: Are These Chopper Kits Comfortable/Reliable (Link Included)?