General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no mso on my frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
jonbyrd73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no mso on my frame

i recently got a frame and it has no mso,it has never been registered,its an ultima frame,how do i go about getting it legal,i heard there was a way but i dont know how,please help lol

Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It would help if you'd tell us where you live. There was a place for that when you signed up.

If you're in the USA, there's 50 states. Each one of them has different laws about what you want to do.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the first place I'd head to is the manufacturer...

If the serial number is still on the frame, that is! Bill of sale from seller may suffice, depending on local ruling.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
jonbyrd73
Novice

texas

Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
jonbyrd73
Novice

the frame is brand new,never assembled,was givin to me by a friend at mmi,his uncle gave it to him but he died no paperwork

Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
32vld
Road Master

Every state is different. In the end I suspect you are going to have a large paper weight. Because I don't think a DMV worker is going to accept that the frame came from a friends uncle. Because for all the DMV can assume is that the uncle or someone else most likely "Liberated" this frame off the back of a truck.

No papers as in immigrants and anything to do with motor vehicles usually indicates something illegal.

I have never lost registration/title papers or have any relative lose theirs.

I had a 1935 Buick 3 window coupe for 25 years and I never lost the papers for that car.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 PM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by 32vld
Every state is different. In the end I suspect you are going to have a large paper weight. Because I don't think a DMV worker is going to accept that the frame came from a friends uncle. Because for all the DMV can assume is that the uncle or someone else most likely "Liberated" this frame off the back of a truck.

No papers as in immigrants and anything to do with motor vehicles usually indicates something illegal.

I have never lost registration/title papers or have any relative lose theirs.

I had a 1935 Buick 3 window coupe for 25 years and I never lost the papers for that car.
I would guess that you've also never had yer roof blown off, and spent the next 8 months with a sheet of plastic for a replacement then. Things really do happen...

Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 PM
jonbyrd73
Novice

thanx for the feedback,guess ill make a toy out of it

Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
jonbyrd73
Novice

i like that liberated comment ha ha ha,my buddy moved home and couldnt take it so he left it at my place and he never came got it,he told me to do what i want with it,its hangin in a bar right now as decoration lol

Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Default Sticky Situation

What ever you do, do not build a bike with that frame, until you get the paperwork straight.

Contact the manufacturer, see if they can help. Most likely thay will refer you back to your State DMV.

If you have a friend, that is a cop, have him run the numbers to see if it has ever been registered and to who. If it has been registered, you will need to contact that person. Of course if he sold it then you are on a trail that could take years to solve, if ever. If it has not been registered, your local DMV can take care of that. they will either issue you a Title based on the numbers or issue you a Builders Title.

If you get the Builders Title then you can start building the bike. A word of caution, you must have receipts for every part on that bike, when you take it back for final inspection by the DMV. When you take it back to the DMV for final inspection, they unload the bike, take it in a shop building, put it on a lift and start checking numbers. They will call you when their finished. If any numbers turn up hot or suspicious, they confiscate the bike, and hold it until, such time, as you can show how the part in question was obtained.
If you can't prove the bikes parts are legitimate , they keep the bike!

You may be finding out why the frame was given to you.

Quick Reply: no mso on my frame