General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 AM
fatrob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

More on the '07 tranny whining/whirring noise........

An acquaintance of mine is a technician at a H-D dealers - this is his take on the '07 'sound'......

HD are admitting there is an issue but rather than refer to it as a noise, they prefer to refer to it as the tranny 'sound' (WTF?)

In the new 6-speeders, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th are Helical-cut gears (supposedly more efficient and normally much quieter). 1st and 5th are 'Spur-cut gears (normally create more noise). All gears are made from the same material.

1st is Spur-cut because it is thought to be easier to shift into from a standstill....5th is Spur-cut because 5th is the gear H-D traditionally picked up the signal from for the speedo and by retaining this H-D could use part of the old system and not go to the expense of designing a brand new one).

The fix...? There aint one...though dealers are tending to drain the tranny fluid and replace it with something like Redline Shockproof (synthetic gear lube). This apparently substantially reduces the 'sound' and even removes it alltogether in many cases........Hmmmmm

I'll be honest, 1st on my Heitage is fine it's only 5th where I hear anything.

So that's it then, that's the inside knowledge from one of H-Ds own!

Comments gentlemen/ladies?

Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

In my case, I have to agree with him. My '07 sounds "different" in 5th gear, but certainly not objectionable. After 1300 miles, I don't even hear it any more. I don't consider it a "noise", just the 5th gear "sound".

Jim

Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 AM
badmo
Road Master

There are many post's on this. Marbles in the head, rocks in a can..... It is, what it is....kind of deal. Go synthetic, get louder pipes or spend the $$ to go open primary with a Baker 6 speed. Not what you want to hear I am sure, but I guess you will always know when you are in 5th.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:39 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine clunks going into first sometimes, i have no other tranny noise yet. judt hit 800 miles

Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Funny the ads never made mention of this.Bakers doesnt make these noises.Heres your new bike, oh by the way enjoy the 5th gear.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm. I thought Baker actually supplied the new 6 spd trannies. Because it is noisy doesn't mean it's defective. The fourth gear on my straight cut 5 spd is the noisiest out of all of them and no problem in several thousand miles. Are you sure this noise is a problem and not just a noise?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
ethal68
Tourer

My 96 clunks and rattles on all gears[:-]

Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
barkster99
Tourer

You guys with an acceptable 07 tranny noise should just consider yourselves lucky. Please don't assume that those of us complaining to our dealers (and HD) have the same issue. NO ONE in their right mind would ride my bike when it's hot and say "that's the way it is, just live with it, put in a new tranny, or trade it off". I wish I had the standard whine or the "tranny noise" but I don't. I HAVE A PIECE OF CRAP ROCKS IN TIN CAN RATTLE. (And I really don't want to start another 07 tranny thread...)

Now I'm back to the 16 pager to follow this there. pittguy -- I tune in daily for updates. Thanks for sharing. We'll lick this thing yet.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I sure hope this gets fixed for all of us w/this early model disease or unfortunate few.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont mind the 5th whine, lets me know were im at with all those gears.Name:  mrsmith.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  2.5 KB

Quick Reply: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'