General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
oldbag
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

After two weeks of riding this bike I am enjoying it less and less. It seems like I am watching the tach all the time not to let the RPM's drop below 2500 RPM. I told the dealer it didn't seem like it should make this banging noise at 2300 rpm to 2500 rpm. He said I was lugging it. I repeated at 2400 rpm? He told me if it makes the noise I was lugging it, there was nothing wrong with the bike. There is for sure something wrong, the dealer or Harley Davidson. I hate being treated like I am stupid. It seems like if you are old some people treat you like you don't count.

Stan

Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lugging it at 2400RPM? The owners manual instructions read to shift from 4th to 5th at 45MPH and from 5th to 6th at 55MPH. Now why would HD, or any company for that matter, invest all that money in R&D and then recommend to the buying public to operate the vehicle at anything other than optimum performance? I follow the manual. 50MPH in 6th gear feels fine with no lugging experienced.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:38 AM
captain m
Road Master

the moco has done a lot of r+d on this tranny(so they say) and have hours of testing on it, then why did they pawn it off on us? I'm hearing stories about an over abundance of older 5th gears with speedometer drives being used, dealers saying to use different oils, shift at higher r's , marbles rattling,clunking into 1st gear ( had 3 bikes since 97,fxstc,fxdbi,fxstc 07,they all clunked, the few times they diidn't,,I got worried)anyhow, I'm going to follow the moco's maintenance procedures,use their oils,keep records and if it calves in 2 yrs. they better be fixing it. don't get me wrong here ,Im not laying down on this mess.I hate the whine, rattling and whatever else screws up my ride,especially down time. I just got the owners survey in the mail and they're going to get blasted on it(like they read-em)
Someone in the moco has the answers, maybe we should band together and send some letters to ***** G. and the moco to find out just what the He** is going on . THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS. lets load up their mailbox!!! This "live to ride,ride to live" motto ain't cutting it. it's more like "pay to ride,hope you can"!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm done,thanks

Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Japscrap

OK, I'm sorry. I just got back to the USA and I am so sick of people not being proud of being AMERICAN. I finally got my HARLEY and people make fun of me because it breaks down or it's slow and it makes me mad because HARLEY is AMERICAN. I saved for so long to make a down payment and I want to be part of the HARLEY dream that I saw in the ads. You know?

He's back, sigh,,, Get a life big boys toys!
The fat nakked guy in front of a computer will show up any minute now.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 PM
HammerheadSSN663
Cruiser

Re my 07 Deluxe:

let me get this straight guys, are we talking about the lugging sound or a sound that you hear ALL THE TIME in 5th gear????

I do hear a sound like metallic percallating (sp?) when the rpm gets too low (in ANY gear) but what bike doesn't make that sound?

Normal cruising no sounds.

And how DO you hear ANY engine noise going down the interstate with all that wind in your ears anyway???????

Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Harley_Vette
Advanced

Can you really run in 6th at 50? I tried even at 60 and it vibrates very badly....lugging.
ORIGINAL: ironoxide

Lugging it at 2400RPM? The owners manual instructions read to shift from 4th to 5th at 45MPH and from 5th to 6th at 55MPH. Now why would HD, or any company for that matter, invest all that money in R&D and then recommend to the buying public to operate the vehicle at anything other than optimum performance? I follow the manual. 50MPH in 6th gear feels fine with no lugging experienced.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM
tom collins
6th Gear

i have an 06 dyna with that tranny, must be because it is an open bike, i don't hear anything in 5th. sorry to those guys with the problem, hope it gets fixed fast.

tom collins

Old 10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
carltex
Road Warrior

'07 Superglide here. I don't have a tach on mine so I have to go by ear and have found that I usually shift about 5 mph above what the book says. Yes 6th gear at 50 mph will lug it down some but should be ok, but no slower. In fact that is usually where I shift into 5th. I have right at 1000 miles on mine now and I haven't noticed any noise in 5th. I am a little bit of a rookie on a bike and I have lugged it a time or 2. Even when I did lug it it pulled out of it fine as soon as the rpms got up.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Rambler
Tourer

Very minor whine in 5th gear, but only below 50 mph

Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Sure you say go ahead and ride it, but the noise is so loud and after 20 or 30 minutes of this you get disgusted and can not take that sound any more. It makes it hard to ride 100-200 miles a day just to have fun. You cann't clear your head out because all the noise the trans., Primary, and the valves are making.

Quick Reply: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'