General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

If the MOCO is going to do something then they should come out and say so.I dont believe this will happen.Its been going on too long now and all we get is BS answers and at most a different fluid of the month to try.When this will be taken care of is when the 1st case against this is won by owner or someone is hurt or killed because of it.I have read where some guys have no 5th gear noise at all-ever!Most do have this George Jettson auto sound.The rattle is what concerns me and hopefully my rep will have something to say from keeping me from pursuing this further.You have to file your concerns further than your dealer,C/S.File a defect report at least.Use this site to say what you have done and your findings-not for just venting the anger.If you do nothing,the factory will do the same.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You riders with the noise problems are the sole reason I'm still riding my 05 Road King. I did everything but sign the papers on a 07 Ultra 3 weeks ago, but the info in the HDF stopped me .I hope it all works out for you.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what gets me ,, the ones that come in here with no problems, and bit,ch about those of us that do have prob's, .
to me this is the best place to get the latest info on whats going on out there! So,,, those of you that are HAPPY,,,,,
STAY THE FUG OUT!!!,,,,,,, to the rest,,, lets keep each other informed!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
GOBB
Intermediate

The happy guy's keep us from running ours through the dealers front window.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:05 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

This is exactly what I think it is and what it sounds like.
It sounds like a rearend thats about to go....know that sound? The howl those make? Yeah, thats what it sounds like.

lp

ORIGINAL: darkkevin
.....i'm a master auto tech and have much experience with manual transmissions in cars and i can tell you the noise in mine is 100% from too much backlash (or freeplay) in the gears.....

Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it sunds more like,,, ya push a bagglady and her shoping cart full of life possesions down a long flight of stairs!!!!

Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM
captain m
Road Master

I gotta go along with heritage07,stay in gear longer in 4th and don't lug 5th. Read the manual !!!!!!!!! Page74 in the 07 softail manual,rule 4. This just doesn't apply to break-in. lugging'll beat the bottom end to death.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:53 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i believe the m after captain stands ......sounds like his bike doesn't have the problem many of us are experiencing here or the captain would be screaming just like we are.
ORIGINAL: captain m

I gotta go along with heritage07,stay in gear longer in 4th and don't lug 5th. Read the manual !!!!!!!!! Page74 in the 07 softail manual,rule 4. This just doesn't apply to break-in. lugging'll beat the bottom end to death.
post edited due to unnecessary comments

Old 09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

it sunds more like,,, ya push a bagglady and her shoping cart full of life possesions down a long flight of stairs!!!!
uhhhhhhh rick....maybe explain how you have so much experience with that particular sound?[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Japscrap
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problems with your HARLEY are all part of the experience. You can't expect FREEDOM without some problems. Just ask Dub-ya.

If you don't love everything about your HARLEY then buy a Jap bike, have a bike that works, and be unAMERICAN. Being a HARLEY owner means your are tough. A little noise and leaks are not anything to us. Come on guys, be tough. Be AMERICAN.

Quick Reply: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'