General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

ORIGINAL: drod

We shouldn't have to hole 4th gear until 58 or 60 mph. The '06 5th gear was 3.15 ratio and the '07 5th gear is 3.279 ratio. The '07 is geared lower in 5th gear it should pull easier in 5th gear than a '06.
I don't know the figures myself, so just taking your word that these are accurate (and not accidentally reversed) would make even more sense to hold off on shifting at a higher RPM. The 07' 5th gear is a higher gear ratio according to your post, as posted - thus the RPM's would need to be held longer to prevent lugging, if shifting at a similiar speed on the 06's 5 speed. Just based on your information - the higher the number, the higher the ratio = more prone to lugging if same speeds are used to shift w/ a 5 speed vs. 6 speed...........

I have never ridden an 06' model of anything. I have previously owned and have experience w/ a 2005 softail standard and a 1999 Sporster 1200C. Both had 5 speeds. I shifted gears at the same speeds with both of those bikes. With this new bike (07' FXSTC w/ 6 speed), I noticed right away that I had to hold off shifting in all gears - about 8-10 mph actually - to prevent lugging - making lot's of undesirable noise. I have turned my head both ways in 5th gear, rode with no helmet, rode with a full face helmet, rode with ear plugs, etc, etc. I have strained to hear anything abnormal for this tranny. I do not have any issues, but believe me - these 6 speeds do require you to change your shifting habits. And at 800 miles and ticking, maybe it'll come yet?

That being said, I believe some folks are having genuine issues with their tranny's. I am not here to discount that. I try to read into the user's posts and what they are describing, and also try to gleen some insight into how much prior experience they have riding a previous Harley or otherwise. I do think some folks are experiencing "Lugging". I also believe some folks are "trolling" and trying to get something started (for whatever reason). I had a very bad experience with a new vehicle about 12 years ago. It really sucks when you buy something that costs so much, and cannot depend on it or enjoy it. It ended badly, and am still harboring ill feelings towards that brand, dealership, etc. So, I feel your pain.

The 07's are selling like crazy in this area. I have not ran into anyone with an 07' model that has tranny issues. There have been what - 10,000 - 15,000 - 2007 models sold since July? And out of all of those, I can find maybe 25 different user's on the internet, on these forums, stating they have tranny problems. It seems like a low number in the grand scheme of things, and I do honestly have to wonder about some for the above mentioned reasons. I just hate to hear of folks cancelling orders over this. It seems like at the very least, the odds are in your favor not to have tranny issues.

Again, guys with the real tranny issues, I hope you have some closure in the very near future and all works out for you. I've been there, it does suck.............. It seems like there are posts all spread out over 07' tranny issues, might be a good idea to consolidate them and get them in one area. I have read several replies from folks asking those of us that are not (currently) experiencing tranny issues to stay out of these topics, and I have respected that to date. I just felt compelled to offer my opinion - on my experience - with an 07' model since there are so many posts breaking out on the same subject.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Larger the number, the lower it is geared. You have it backwards.
ORIGINAL: skips69

ORIGINAL: drod

We shouldn't have to hole 4th gear until 58 or 60 mph. The '06 5th gear was 3.15 ratio and the '07 5th gear is 3.279 ratio. The '07 is geared lower in 5th gear it should pull easier in 5th gear than a '06.
I don't know the figures myself, so just taking your word that these are accurate (and not accidentally reversed) would make even more sense to hold off on shifting at a higher RPM. The 07' 5th gear is a higher gear ratio according to your post, as posted - thus the RPM's would need to be held longer to prevent lugging, if shifting at a similiar speed on the 06's 5 speed. Just based on your information - the higher the number, the higher the ratio = more prone to lugging if same speeds are used to shift w/ a 5 speed vs. 6 speed...........

I have never ridden an 06' model of anything. I have previously owned and have experience w/ a 2005 softail standard and a 1999 Sporster 1200C. Both had 5 speeds. I shifted gears at the same speeds with both of those bikes. With this new bike (07' FXSTC w/ 6 speed), I noticed right away that I had to hold off shifting in all gears - about 8-10 mph actually - to prevent lugging - making lot's of undesirable noise. I have turned my head both ways in 5th gear, rode with no helmet, rode with a full face helmet, rode with ear plugs, etc, etc. I have strained to hear anything abnormal for this tranny. I do not have any issues, but believe me - these 6 speeds do require you to change your shifting habits. And at 800 miles and ticking, maybe it'll come yet?

That being said, I believe some folks are having genuine issues with their tranny's. I am not here to discount that. I try to read into the user's posts and what they are describing, and also try to gleen some insight into how much prior experience they have riding a previous Harley or otherwise. I do think some folks are experiencing "Lugging". I also believe some folks are "trolling" and trying to get something started (for whatever reason). I had a very bad experience with a new vehicle about 12 years ago. It really sucks when you buy something that costs so much, and cannot depend on it or enjoy it. It ended badly, and am still harboring ill feelings towards that brand, dealership, etc. So, I feel your pain.

The 07's are selling like crazy in this area. I have not ran into anyone with an 07' model that has tranny issues. There have been what - 10,000 - 15,000 - 2007 models sold since July? And out of all of those, I can find maybe 25 different user's on the internet, on these forums, stating they have tranny problems. It seems like a low number in the grand scheme of things, and I do honestly have to wonder about some for the above mentioned reasons. I just hate to hear of folks cancelling orders over this. It seems like at the very least, the odds are in your favor not to have tranny issues.

Again, guys with the real tranny issues, I hope you have some closure in the very near future and all works out for you. I've been there, it does suck.............. It seems like there are posts all spread out over 07' tranny issues, might be a good idea to consolidate them and get them in one area. I have read several replies from folks asking those of us that are not (currently) experiencing tranny issues to stay out of these topics, and I have respected that to date. I just felt compelled to offer my opinion - on my experience - with an 07' model since there are so many posts breaking out on the same subject.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:07 AM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected, you're right drod. Put it into car logic - rear ends I mean, and you are right indeed. Still noticed mine does need to be held in gear longer (more RPM's) prior to shifting as opposed to earlier bikes. Don't know why? Aside from your tranny noises, have you noticed this as well?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My 06 dyna got Redline Shockproof Heavy at 100 miles.......so it's smooth and quiet.

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

Just curious, does anyone with an 06 Dyna have this problem or is it endemic only to the 07s?

<><Peace

Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 AM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05 and an '07 and I agree on riding the gear out longer for the '07. To me it seems like it lugs in 5th and 6th under 2400 and makes a rattelling noise at those rpms. I dont have any whinning noises yet but will be taking precautions after break in by switching to Red Line in all 3 holes. I feel for those who got screwed and hope u guys get it all worked out soon.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

I really feel for the folks that are having these problems. I know that I would be really pissed off if it was happening to me! Have any of you told your dealer to take back the bike, or replace it with one that works?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice post skip.

As far as I have heard this problem is not in the softails or dynas, just the dreesers. Someone posted that they changed out the pipes and the sound went away, I'm wondering if it was louder pipes drowning out the noise or something to do with the pipes.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser

i have ownes 4 harleys i now own a 2007 electric glide classic i think the problem is no one is used to having stock pipes had mine in for 1000 mile service buddy of mine has 35 yrs exp
with harleys has own shop now he put little heay oil in tranny and put a set of vance and hines slipon on and beleive me this is the best bike i have ever had all noise are gone or i just can hear them. no breather no down load runs great vance and hine web site says put them on and go

Old 09-28-2006, 05:25 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post your dyno specs whenever you have it done,I would bet your A/F #s are on the lean side.You maybe missing out on what those upgrades should be giving you.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

for those who have asked. i have an 06 dwg and have a "rocks in a coffee can" fifth gear as well. i left the stealer after buying it brand new 4 months ago and returned 15 minutes later saying 5th sounds like it's gonna blow up anytime. their response was an dumbfounded look followed by it's probably because everything needs to break in. (they had my 18k and now it was like i didn't exist) i rode the heck out of it and brought it in for the 1k service and had the service dept. check it and they said the noise was normal. and added bel-ray fluid to the trans. i now have a little over 6000 miles on it and the noise is the same. the bel-ray fluid eliminates the noise until it gets to normal operating temp, then it sounds the same. i'm a master auto tech and have much experience with manual transmissions in cars and i can tell you the noise in mine is 100% from too much backlash (or freeplay) in the gears. this won't cause any immediate problems but will greatly accelerate wear on the gears and everything else in the drivetrain as well. the gears should ride smoothly and fluidly on one another and what they are doing with to much backlash is essentially hammering on one another. very bad things happen when two hardened pieces of steel hammer on each other and it's just a matter of time befor one othe the gears breaks. i keep watching the forums like many of you hoping for he "harley stands behind f'd up 6-speeds" but nothing yet.

Quick Reply: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'