General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'

Those that are unhappy with the 07, sell the damn things already if you are not happy with HD's response.

Go out and buy a Goldwing - problem solved.

No more noises what so ever.

There's nothing we can do about it here. This has been an ongoing issue now for over 2 months.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

And until Harley Dung fixes it this will never go away. It might just be here forever.
ORIGINAL: DoCPooF

Those that are unhappy with the 07, sell the damn things already if you are not happy with HD's response.

There's nothing we can do about it here. This has been an ongoing issue now for over 2 months.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of us have a real problem, and between all of us, we will hopefully get it fixed by telling each other what our dealers are telling, or doing, for us. If you have an 07 with no problems, I am happy for you. Why read and comment something that doesn't affect you. Please don't read the posts if you are tired of hearing about our problem!! If you want to buy my 07 FLHR for what I paid for it (I got a good deal) then I maybe I will buy a Goldwing.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Dave_B
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that's part of the problem. I don't think I could sell a bike making this racket. I think if some of you doubters would actually hear these bikes, you would know there's a real problem. It's not gear "sound", it's a clatter in 5th that's loud enough and abnormal enough that people I ride with comment about it. I'm not knocking H-D because I haven't given them a chance to address it yet, as I'm waiting for 1000 mile service to bring it up. For now, I just skip 5th gear. But if you hear it, you'll know it's not just gear noise that'll go away with different lube, you'll know it ain't right, and you'd NEVER just get used to it.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave_B is 100% correct! Unlike him, I am knocking Harley Dung. I think they took our money and skipped town, because they sure aren't telling us anything but "nothing is wrong with it, ride it and enjoy it". BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Ctimrun
Novice

I think some of the bikes have a whine in 5th, and some have the whine + rocks in the coffee can issue. I have ridden both on test rides. The whine alone is not the problem. My problem is plunking down 20 large on my dream bike to get the whine + rocks in the can problem. I tune in here daily hoping to someday read, "Harley fixes the 07 tranny problem."

When I know this problem has been fixed I will go straight to the dealer and bring my bike home! Come on HD get it done, I want a new bike!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser

Yea, and this whole tranny noise thing is one of the main reasons that I cancelled my '07 FXSTC order last week. Got my $500 back and will wait for the '08's. So this issue may be starting to have an effect on sales of the new bikes. Behooves Harley-Davidson to get a solution ASAP.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

I have a quick question. Weren't all five gears in pre-07 bikes of the straight cut variety? If so, how come we never had problems with overly noisy transmissions in the past? Other than the clunk/click of my bike going into first, I don't have any noise.

I don't see what having a straight cut gear there in 5th position has to do with the noise....I think its just something altogether new about the design. Maybe they went cheap on the shifter dogs or something so its not fully in gear in some places or an alignment issue of some sort.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

2075 miles on my 07 Heritage and 5th gear noise is not noticable when shifting into 5th at 55 or higher. I have never had a wine or marble sound in 5th, it's is more like a chug as if to say please stay in 4th you are not going fast enough to be in 5th. I will say that it has quieted down extremely since my first service. I have syn3 in everything so maybe thats part of it.

There is absoultely zero noise when I ride it like a sport bike away from a light lol. Do you guys think that just maybe 5th could be geared a little taller and low rpm's magnify the sound? Driving on local streets or back roads my bike is very happy just staying in 5th crusing at 55 or 60 with no noise.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

2075 miles on my 07 Heritage and 5th gear noise is not noticable when shifting into 5th at 55 or higher. I have never had a wine or marble sound in 5th, it's is more like a chug as if to say please stay in 4th you are not going fast enough to be in 5th. I will say that it has quieted down extremely since my first service. I have syn3 in everything so maybe thats part of it.
I agree totally. I have an 07' FXSTC and have been very reluctant to join in these tranny discussions. I don't have a whine or the rocks in the can noise. I have noticed (and very early on) that these new bikes are very prone to lugging if riding/shifting as you would an earlier 5 speed model. You do have to hold the revs longer and shift at higher speeds than accustomed to with the 5 speeds. In 5th gear at 50 mph, you will lug and make noise like you won't believe. I hold 4th to 58-60 mph now before getting into 5th, and even then want to be accelerating. I wish I had a louder exhaust, as that is more what I am accustomed to on a Harley and I could "hear" what was going on better (personally). I hear alot of engine noise with this stock exhaust. And, it is not unusual noise, just personally haven't had a Harley with the stock exhaust for so long. I think the shifts are definately more harder with this new 6 speed - in all gears. You definately hear every gear change. Good, bad? Just different. For those who do have some serious tranny issues, I feel for you. It sucks buying any new vehicle and having such a significant issue to deal with. Some of these issues though, I have to chock up to people shifting too early, or riding in a gear with too little rpm's - lugging. Again, my tranny is shifting harder than my old 5 speeds, is prone to lugging (and making noise) if I try to ride it in similiar fashion, and basically is nothing that I am concerned with at the moment. I feel that most 07' owner's have no tranny issues, but the handful that are voicing their complaints on the forums is all that is being heard. I would not cancel my order - seems to be a very small number overall. As far as this hurting Harley, all the 07's are selling like crazy in this area, and I am starting to run into people who are having to order one - not enough on the floors apparently. My dealership has already sold all 5 of the FXSTC's that they have received so far (mine was one of them).

I don't doubt that there are some serious issues with some tranny's out there. Again, for you guy's, I feel your pain and hope it is resolved for you soon. I am glad that I am not in that situation myself. Good luck and hopefully we'll be reading some posts soon about what was resolved for you...........

Quick Reply: The '07 Tranny Saga...sorry the 'sound'