General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions??

As I've posted here before, I'm looking for a trike for the wife. Found one on a major internet classifieds. It's a '99 Honda GW Anniversary Edition w/ a Motor Trike II Conversion. The guy only wants $7k. Pics look real good.

Usually it has taken this guy a week to respond to e-mails, now he's returning faster. He originally posted the ad in 3 major markets. The language of the e-mail was a little off, and made me suspicious, but I'm beginning to suspect that this is because this guy is not a native english speaker, NBD. He wants me to post 1/2 the purchase price with an outfit called Q-Escrow, in an account he sets up. He will ship the trike to me from NY (he pays 1/2 shipping) and I have 4 days to inspect and approve, at which point, I release the escrow and pay the remaining 1/2.

Does this sound as hinky to you guys as it does to me? I don't like the idea of buying any vehicle w/o seeing it first. The price is phenomenal, but those things that are too good to be true, usually are.

On the other hand, The price is in my affordable range. If the wife doesn't like it, I can resell it for more than it cost, including shipping. The wife likes it, so far.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions??

Check out that escrow company. If they have no complaints against them and are a legit company, that is a decent way to protect the money transfer. And him paying 1/2 the shipping is great if everything is on the level.

Another thing to do is have him fax a copy of the title, a copy of his DL, and a written account of the pending deal to you beforehand (signed by him). Then if he DOES try to stiff you once you've paid the remaining balance you can easily win in court if it came down to that.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Bassman
Road Master

On the initial sniff test, it smells a little funny. But if the escrow company is ligit, you are probably ok.
Just make sure you document everything relating to the transaction.

What happens if you receive it and don't close the deal - Does he eat the shipping to & from?

Option 2: Road Trip!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Hiram
Road Captain

Road trip was in my mind too. Don't know if the truck is good enough to make it to NY and back, especially w/ the trailer.

Checked the escrow co. a little. They seem to be legit. Some of their people are officers in the LA escrow association. Hadn't thought about getting him to fax a copy of his DL and the title, good idea.

I'm thinking, A) further check the escrow co. B) if a checks out, I set up the escrow account and post the money, he posts the title. C) We ship the trike to Denver, if it checks out, money and title are released, everythings good!

Need to figure out what to do if the trike shows up but doesn't check out, I guess if he wants his trike back he needs to pay more shipping.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have any reservations about the deal, buy a discount airline ticket and go look at it.

Jim

Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

Hey Hiram - where in NY is it?..I'm on LI/Queens...if its around here, I'd be willing to check it out for you first - at least see that nothing major exists. I hear ya about being wary with something unseen. even for 7K. Just as an FYI - I don't know if its private sale or not, but if its from a dealer, stay away from ANYONE selling any vehicles off a Queens Blvd address, regardless of town unless its a Major Brand franchise. Alot of used crap for sale there. Let me know.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Hiram, I'm in western new york around Buffalo. If the trike is near here I would be willing to check it out for you. Too many scams out there to take a chance....................BG

Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Phonedoc
Tourer

Scam. Ask him for a phone number so you can talk to him. Tell him you'll only do business in cash, in person. He'll disappear quicklike. DO NOT send any money, no matter how legit the escrow company looks.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a scam, if you can hire a independant vehicle inspector to go check it out, but be real, a 99 goldwing will bring more than 7 k stock.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

I have contacted Buyers Services International. They specialize in long distance purchases of vehicles, usually classic & exotic cars. They will handle the entire transaction, from price negotiation to transportation if I so desire. Total package costs $550. Since I'm not going to negotiate it should be subsantially less. According to a scam article I read there are things you need to ask for to "qualify" a sale not a scam. You can read the article at www.buyclassiccars.com Sure sounds like this deal. Anyway, I asked this guy for his info and told him BSI will be handling it, and the vehicle will need inspection. Let's see if he gets back to me. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Opinions??