General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for convincing me that the gear I wear REALLY isn't a waste of time.

Thank you making me feel better about being kind of a wussy about hitting twisties too hard.

Glad you are alive to fix your scoot!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did about 60 miles around Henderson on the side streets today. The handlebars aren't perfectly straight, but they didn't spring back crooked when I hit bumps, so I'm good to do the smaller toy run tomorrow. I wore that Scorpion helmet for about 2 hours worth of riding. It makes me a little claustrophobic, but it will definately be my ride helmet when I heal (the brow sits right on my stitches right now). I have a DOT half helmet I wore for the last hour and will use it tomorrow. But the full face will be my commuter. I'm going to clean up the wiring for the rear turn signals tonight and then the bike will be waiting for the new front end parts to arrive.

EDIT: I have to add this. So I'm running without a front fender, in like 30 years this is the first time I ever had a motorcycle without a front fender, so I'm going from Henderson HD to Leather Hqs (I was instructed to get a broken wings patch, my sister who knows all these mystical things about riding informed me, that putting on the wings is a sign you have been humbled by your wreck, well I'm getting too old and slow healing to not be humble so I got the patch), I was on Sunset heading to Boulder Highway and suddenly there's a puddle of water across the road. I'm thinking "ride safe, ride safe, straight through", not at all thinking "yo, dude you got no front fender". Well now I know what the front fender has been keeping off me all these years. But the bike looks so tough without the fender. Oh well, another thing I'm getting too old for. As soon as I get it bent back into shape, the fender is back on.

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
I ride in your area alot but you didn't say where you went down. Were you doing the Lake ride? ...
... Was the clinic in Overton?
I'm still new to the area so I haven't ridden the lake yet, other than the Hoover Dam ride. If we are talking about the same road "Lake Meade Parkway" or something like that, I've been told that you have to pay to ride on it. The roads I was riding were up north of town off 93/15, but I ride up to them on the side roads. They may be close to Moapa town, if anyone knows that area, but not sure about the exact location of the clinic. Going to it I was in the back of an ambulance and leaving I was blind without glasses and one of my eyes covered with gauze. There is a Piaute Reservation west of that off 95, but I'm not sure if we travelled long enough for that to have been where they took me either. I guess when I get the bill I'll know for sure. .... Okay I just googled Overton, that is kinda in the same area, other side of 15 from where I wrecked and where they kept the bike, but I guess that could have been where the clinic was.

I have a little Garmin E-trex that would fit in my pocket, I keep meaning to take it with me so I can track the roads I find. Maybe now I'll remember it.

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 12-11-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Smotheredhope
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic writing.

With that said glad you are still here to write it.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 AM
karjar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see you are able to write about it. I know how doing funny things happens after an accident.

After sliding and rolling down the hiway, for what felt like 5 minutes, thinking what am I going to hit, what is going to stop me, what will my back wrap around and snap in half on, when will a car run over me, I finally came to a stop and quickly ran back to where my wife was laying with a fractured vertebrae.

In one moment I am worrying about her, and there are already alot of people there to help her including an off duty paramedic, and then I thinking, Oh I should turn off the ignition, gee gas is leaking out the cap, I should stand the bike (road king classic with leather tour pak)back up, oh wait, it is like 10 inches from my wife, what if i drop it on her. Hey, there is my garmin, I should go pick it up. Better get my windshield, wonder how my wife is, I should get the keys out of the bike. Oh, better call the kids and let them know we have been in an accident. Oh battery is just about dead, will call anyways, Son answers, tell him my battery about to go dead, but we have been in a accident, **** battery just went dead (my son was really upset about that one, rightfully so).

Yet all this probably happened in one tenth the time. I was wearing a half helmet, FXGR leather jacket. I have a Shoei multi-tec, but get bugged about wearing a full face. I don't so much care about being bugged anymore. I shudder thinking about landing on my chin and sliding on it.

Get well soon, and good luck with the bike! Stay safe.
jeff

Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Oh does anyone know if Lens Crafters repairs glasses you bought from them. I pretty much trashed my frames, they are bent all funky and the left earpiece screw went missing. I was driving around in the truck today with them sitting all cockeyed on my face.

And if you wear glasses, do wear goggles over them. I was looking at what's left of the goggles and it's pretty obvious to me, if I wasn't wearing them I would have driven the right lens of my glasses into my eye.
Yeah, well they pretty much match your face. Glad you are OK. Most any eye/glasses place can fix your frames while you wait if they arn't too bad. I wrecked out near the lake many years ago, ( I also ran off the road into the sage brush) so I feel your pain like everyone else here. Get that bike fixed up right and go ride the lake road, it makes for a nice ride now that it has new asphalt. Wait until after Jan 1 and you can get an annual pass for the Lake Mead Rec. Area for $20. I think a day pass is like $3 and $7 a day for Valley of Fire. Be safe.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did about 60 miles around Henderson on the side streets today. The handlebars aren't perfectly straight, but they didn't spring back crooked when I hit bumps, so I'm good to do the smaller toy run tomorrow. I wore that Scorpion helmet for about 2 hours worth of riding. It makes me a little claustrophobic, but it will definately be my ride helmet when I heal (the brow sits right on my stitches right now). I have a DOT half helmet I wore for the last hour and will use it tomorrow. But the full face will be my commuter. I'm going to clean up the wiring for the rear turn signals tonight and then the bike will be waiting for the new front end parts to arrive.

EDIT: I have to add this. So I'm running without a front fender, in like 30 years this is the first time I ever had a motorcycle without a front fender, so I'm going from Henderson HD to Leather Hqs (I was instructed to get a broken wings patch, my sister who knows all these mystical things about riding informed me, that putting on the wings is a sign you have been humbled by your wreck, well I'm getting too old and slow healing to not be humble so I got the patch), I was on Sunset heading to Boulder Highway and suddenly there's a puddle of water across the road. I'm thinking "ride safe, ride safe, straight through", not at all thinking "yo, dude you got no front fender". Well now I know what the front fender has been keeping off me all these years. But the bike looks so tough without the fender. Oh well, another thing I'm getting too old for. As soon as I get it bent back into shape, the fender is back on.

I'm still new to the area so I haven't ridden the lake yet, other than the Hoover Dam ride. If we are talking about the same road "Lake Meade Parkway" or something like that, I've been told that you have to pay to ride on it. The roads I was riding were up north of town off 93/15, but I ride up to them on the side roads. They may be close to Moapa town, if anyone knows that area, but not sure about the exact location of the clinic. Going to it I was in the back of an ambulance and leaving I was blind without glasses and one of my eyes covered with gauze. There is a Piaute Reservation west of that off 95, but I'm not sure if we travelled long enough for that to have been where they took me either. I guess when I get the bill I'll know for sure. .... Okay I just googled Overton, that is kinda in the same area, other side of 15 from where I wrecked and where they kept the bike, but I guess that could have been where the clinic was.

I have a little Garmin E-trex that would fit in my pocket, I keep meaning to take it with me so I can track the roads I find. Maybe now I'll remember it.
Oh,yea, I ride to Moapa alot too. Pioche, and Caliente. The moapa cop went down on a ride I led at cape royal of the north rim of the grand canyon. By the sound of what you say was the length of time to get to the clinic, you may have been transported to Mesquite.

I'm happy you are getting back up on it and riding. You have learned some great lessons and I am blessed by your post reminding me of what is considered safe riding habits to get into ie; Leathers, good helmet, preparing for the worst. I ride a geezerglide now and pack a med kit and extra water. When you ride alone, that might be good advice for you, and carry a second pair of glasses. You can get sissybar bag or windshield bags. On mt Dyna( now my sons dyna) I put on fork braces. I'm not sure that would hasve helped or not, but you might consider that cheap upgrade in the future.

Good luck to ya. come visit us some time up at Zion Harley. I'm an SUHOG member. We have free burgers on sat and do some rides around here or down in your area, depending on weather. If its cold and threatening here, we ride to nevada. If it nice here, we do Zion or the mountains. We have lots of good riding between were you live and I. Perfect reason to ride a Harley.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
Good luck to ya. come visit us some time up at Zion Harley. I'm an SUHOG member. We have free burgers on sat and do some rides around here or down in your area, depending on weather. If its cold and threatening here, we ride to nevada. If it nice here, we do Zion or the mountains. We have lots of good riding between were you live and I. Perfect reason to ride a Harley.
I've been to Zion Harley a few times. Friend from work and I have been looking for rides so I'll bring him up there one Saturday after the New Year.