General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics?

Any pics of the nurse? (just kiddin). I got an ambulance ride too this summer, no fun at all.

Glad to hear you're ok.

JR

Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 PM
h2o
Road Captain

Oh shist! Hell of a story. You did convince me to wear my full face more though. I'm glad you sound ok cuz I'm sure it could be much worse. Get well soon.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. For those curious about the nurse. She was a supermodel (well I did have blood in my eyes).. actually she was a sweet, slightly overweight hispanic/anglo girl that I would say was about 30 years old, shoulder length auburn hair.

Spent today picking up the bike, getting it to the mechanic and trying to see what we could do to make it somewhat functional. Here's the quick and dirty of what we did.

Pulled the windshield off and tossed it aside (not in the trash yet might use pieces of it). It was one I had bought second hand so I wasn't too broken up about it. the frame was completely bent and the plexi was scoured white.

Pulled the front fender off, saving it for repair and repainting.
Spent about 4 hours straightening the forks. The bottom triple tree is toast, but I would like to at least do one of the in-town Toy Runs this weekend, so we got the forks almost straight and clamped everything as tight as we could. I'll test ride it tomorrow and see if it will hold true at in-town speeds.

Had to buy another rear turn signal relocation kit since I sheared off the right rear turn signal.

Other than the front end most all the damage is cosmetic. Might have to replace the rear heat shield if it turns out it's laying against the pipe when it bent.

Here's the butchers bill for the day, parts bought and ordered:
1 new Scorpion full face helmet.
Bottom Triple Tree (on order)
2 fork stancions (on order)
2 sets of fork seals, bushings, oil (rebuild kit. The mechanic said he would teach me how to rebuild them if I wanted as long as we have them apart, so I said sure)
Layback licenseplate/turnsignal relocation kit.
Front brake line (when the forks twisted right, the fork stop on the triple treak broke off and it crimped the front brake line)
Headlight lens

The mechanic said he has a windshield off a Heritage that we might be able to rig up using my mounting hardware with it.

Things that will need to be repaired/replaced but don't affect function: basically everything with crome or paint on it on the right side of the bike.

Here's some photos of the bike as it sits right now after we worked on it all afternoon. Oh and a picture of the new helmet too.

Attached Thumbnails Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-new-helmet.jpg   Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-front.jpg   Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-right-front.jpg   Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-right.jpg   Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-right-back.jpg  

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 12-10-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Oh does anyone know if Lens Crafters repairs glasses you bought from them. I pretty much trashed my frames, they are bent all funky and the left earpiece screw went missing. I was driving around in the truck today with them sitting all cockeyed on my face.

And if you wear glasses, do wear goggles over them. I was looking at what's left of the goggles and it's pretty obvious to me, if I wasn't wearing them I would have driven the right lens of my glasses into my eye.

Attached Thumbnails Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall-lv_2010_12_wreck-goggles.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Originally Posted by T-Dub
Damn dude. You are definitely blessed. Awesome writing too. Heal up quick and get my shirt done. LOL.

I may make a Vegas trip this summer. I will be looking you up if I do.
Will do, will probably be after the holidays for the t-shirt. Wife gets in next weekend and then we are off to Ok for my parents 50th anniversary.

Definately hit me up if you get out here in the summer. We can hook up with some of the long time LV riders and explore places that don't lend themselves to accidently chasing coyotes through the desert.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

wow, glad you're not hurt worse. Scoot doesn't look all that bad, you'll be back on the road in no time.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

I'm rambling on tonight, but I was replaying the wreck over and over trying to remember whatever I could right at seconds leading up to it. I mentioned and someone else mentioned how much time there is to think. In the probably 100 feet from the time I knew I was in trouble until I had that blank mind I can recall thinking these distinctive thoughts, not sure about the order, it's a jumble now, but here's what I remember thinking:

DON'T BRAKE!
Go straight.
Go into the desert.
Is that a coyote? (I really did catch a glimpse of something darting in the distance)
I'm wearing the wrong helmet to do this.
Don't land on your head.
It's too nice of a day to crash.
Don't Brake (I thought this several times.. but I looked today and I did hit the brakes when I went into the dirt, dangit)
Float (I race downhill mountain bikes, and the zen statement is always to 'float' the tough sections)

Running it over and over, I can distinctly recall going off the road, and the first little berm. I can remember looking past the second berm to find a line to ride and it's while looking for the line that everything just stops, I remember how it felt when my head hit the ground, and my left arm jerking really hard, but I don't have an image of what I was seeing, so I may have just closed my eyes when the bike went down.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you made it through that crazy a$$ ride! Heal up and go luck with your repairs.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I've seen worse from someone just getting tossed out of a bar! J/K man, glad you made it out alive and the bikes repairable. I hate it when you're having a good ride and something completely beyond your control catches you out.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Will do, will probably be after the holidays for the t-shirt. Wife gets in next weekend and then we are off to Ok for my parents 50th anniversary.

Definately hit me up if you get out here in the summer. We can hook up with some of the long time LV riders and explore places that don't lend themselves to accidently chasing coyotes through the desert.
Haha. Dude, that was one hell of a story. I am not sure I would be able to articulate as well after an accident.

I bent my risers when I went down and all it took to right them was loosening everything up, bars, risers, etc. and lining everything back up best I could and re-tightening. Good luck getting everything buttoned back up.

Quick Reply: Blood on the Leather... or... It's Okay My Face Broke My Fall