General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gator-Skins thermals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Gator-Skins thermals?

I was at the Legion the other night and it was in the 20's. I did not ride in and almost everybody was in cages except one. Usually I'm the only one that rides in that kind of weather but I had the chills bad. One guy did ride in. He had on a full face helmet which he normally does not wear. Also he had no heated gear. He said he was nice and warm because of his Gator-Skins thermals and glove liners. http://www.gator-skins.com/
He showed me the stuff and it's hard to believe that that stuff would actually work when it's that cold out.
Anybody have any experience with that stuff?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

First time I've heard of those. For the price I'd sure hope they work. I've got Dri-Duke thermals, they work better than the old white long johns and come in the same color(s) as uniform tee shirts.

http://www.dukeathletic.com/athletic...ong-Underwear/

Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the gator skin glove liners and I am not too happy with them. I am planning on getting a pair of winter gloves.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:25 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Their web site states that they are water proof, but not wind proof. I don't see how that would work. I've tried numerous brands of thermals (Patagonia, Under Armor Cold Gear, etc.) and will admit they keep you warm standing around or hiking. Once 60+ mph air hits them, the cold air goes straight through them. The Knox Cold Killer pants have worked for me. They are water proof and wind proof and do indeed keep the cold air from coming through my jeans. Just my take on it. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in. I'd like to know also.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never seen Gator Skins, but the description they give would also fit the old military Poly-Pro underwear - it works great on a bike and mine cost something like $14 for a top and bottom, instead of $105 for Gator Skins. I also have Under Armous and the newer military stuff, but the old Poly Pros are the one for riding/wind.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of Gator Skins and the glove liners. They are over hyped. No better or worse than any other thermal underwear I have. They are very elastic and fit similar to under armor.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I have tried so much crap i can't believe it and the best is leather and layers....Until now anyway...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

For that $$ I would stick to UA or Knox. Like brenn, my old polypropylene's work very well. Add jeans and leather.......good to go.

I know, I am in AZ now but talking about most my life prior in Indiana. Although desert morn's and evenings can get pretty darn cold.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at these but way to much money. Under Armor works great and is much cheaper.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under Armour Works for me. I do have heated gear, which I wouldn't trade for anything.

Quick Reply: Gator-Skins thermals?