General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gator-Skins thermals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM
1shaka
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hog skinz

I have the pre gator skins in hog skinz, got them years ago. They are basically the same althought you cannot get them anymore. They are waterproof but not really wind proof. Not all they are cracked up to be.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

This has actually turned in to a good cold weather gear thread. I may try txfxstrider's Air Force mitt's, but I'm concerned about being able to use switches like directionals, horn, cruise control ...
I've ridden in weather down to about 18 degrees. I snap on my soft lowers, wear polypro underwear, a couple of layers of fleece under my leather jacket and then my chaps. On my head, I got these cool high tech ear muffs I wear plus a neoprene mask with my half helmet. Even at that temp, the only area I suffer in is my hands. I've wanted to go electric but for just my hands, it seems like a lot of effort.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently using the HD Windshielder Gauntlet gloves. I've used them in the upper 20's and they do very well. If my fingers get uncomfortable I use the Under Armor Cold Gear glove liners which normally help.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
This has actually turned in to a good cold weather gear thread. I may try txfxstrider's Air Force mitt's, but I'm concerned about being able to use switches like directionals, horn, cruise control ...
I've ridden in weather down to about 18 degrees. I snap on my soft lowers, wear polypro underwear, a couple of layers of fleece under my leather jacket and then my chaps. On my head, I got these cool high tech ear muffs I wear plus a neoprene mask with my half helmet. Even at that temp, the only area I suffer in is my hands. I've wanted to go electric but for just my hands, it seems like a lot of effort.
it has, really. i used to run the soft lowers, but i switched to the Linbar, i thought that they made a set of soft lowers for them too, but i have limited internet connection, and cant find them. anyone seen them? i also saw and bought the 'ice cream scoop' looking things from harley. i dont know if they make them any more. but, they block the wind off of your hands. no heat, but, keeps the wind from ripping warmth from your fingers. got into a bike flipping incident in 2005, and they were smashed, and i never replaced them. but, they make it so you dont need such a big thick glove, and can still work your fingers on your buttons.

and, i got an aftermarket hand grip heater. i am deployed right now, and cant remember the name brand, but, they dont require heated hand grips. you can use the grips you want, they go under them. frikkin awesome! and they have an LED indicator, that replaced the whole peice that holds your clutch lever on your bars. very clean. and, my last name is corbin (no relation) and i always have those seats on my bikes. this one is heated....

corb

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kind of late in the season, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I recently bought a Gator Skins shirt after reading a review in Motorcycle Consumer News (like Consumer Reports - subscriber based, no advertising so hopefully not biased) and think it is awesome!

I wear it under my leather jacket and over a t shirt when the temps are 45 and under and I'm real warm.

The best part about the shirt is that it's so light weight. (It is a strange feeling material). Usually when you layer up it gets real bulky which I really don't like. The best thing about the Gators is no bulk at all so the riding is real comfortable.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Mornings are still cold .. was 28 when I left my house yesterday (March 7). Wife bought me HD (Gerbings) microwire gloves for Christmas. Have to say ... I love them. Have not thought about any other gear ... I'm good to go now!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a pair of fleece lined leather gauntlet gloves. Over the weekend I was at the Army-Navy Store and picked up some wool glove liners, so I'm curious how much warmth they'll add.
Army-Navy store is turning into my place to go for Cold Weather Gear. Looked at a pair of mitt's there but they were so thick and bulky I wouldn't even have been able to hang on to the bars, much less use controls.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hands down, the warmest cold-weather gear available (and designed for riding) has to be the Mustang "Ice Rider" floatation suits! Waterproof and much thinner than most jackets, these were absolutely the best, IMHO.

I wore one daily when patrolling the U.S./Canadian border on snowmobile (something I did for 4 years) in northern Michigan. We wore them primarily for their floatation abilities, since we were out on the frozen Great Lakes, but these things blocked wind like crazy! Temps out on the ice were sub zero regularly, and you can imagine the wind!

I'd say if you wore these while riding a bike, you could get away with a normal shirt & jeans underneath.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...uct.php?id=502