Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Thread (specific focus)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 AM
and roger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Thread (specific focus)

Okay, I know there are many helmet threads out there. I've read most. I'm really looking for someone with more specific information.

I have a small (extra small) head. I measure about 51cm (approx. 20 inches). The thing is, i THINK my head is more long and narrow... so i'd need a helmet that is fit for a small, narrow head. I'm quite sure I don't want a circular helmet which would stick out way over my ears.

It has to be DOT... or at least have a sticker inside and out saying it's DOT

I'm leaning towards the D.O.T. Daytona Skull Cap

I read a lot about ACC helmets, but they are older posts and the company now appears to be defunct due, at least in part, to a recall and losing it's DOT status. Is this true? Does anyone have an ACC Polo or Shortie they're trying to sell?

I read a lot about HCI polos, carbons, and shorties. They look good, but the picture made them look very round and so I doubt they'd be a good match for my head.

I detest the mushroom look. If I'm safely cruising I value looks more than safety or comfort.

I use a 3/4 when I'm going into traffic or banging out the twisties.

PLEASE... I'm about to redeploy from Afghanistan and check out my new (to me) Fat Bob. I want to have a good helmet waiting. Of course, if it's a no-go, i'll just send it back.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Arai Profile is shaped for "long oval" head, but it's full face. I have one and it's quite comfortable...been wearing it since it cooled off. I've got a Harley half helmet for warm weather.

Originally Posted by and roger
If I'm safely cruising I value looks more than safety or comfort.
Because accidents don't just happen, they're planned?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 AM
and roger
Advanced

i know accidents aren't planned, just didn't feel like wording it carefully. It's more that i'll pick my opportunities to be dangerous rather than being dangerous/careless all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I detest the mushroom look. If I'm safely cruising I value looks more than safety or comfort.

I keep hearing about the mushroom look, and I guess I've never really understood the concerns. I'm more worried about the government hacking into my brain waves, so my helmets have to be a little more sophisticated.

I prefer the half-helmet look for 99 percent of my riding

But on cold days, or if I feel a little more protection is necessary, we like the old school look of a 3/4. Here's my OL in hers.

We also have non-DOT shorties that we sometimes wear, when we're riding through a state that doesn't require helmets. Not much in the way of impact protection, but still has good EMF shielding capabilities....

Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Your going to have to try some helmets on to really find that perfect fit. It took my friend here a long time to find this beauty.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

i know accidents aren't planned, just didn't feel like wording it carefully. It's more that i'll pick my opportunities to be dangerous rather than being dangerous/careless all the time.

Thanks for the advice.
It was more of a joke than giving you crap. lol. Most companies that I checked into don't advertise what shape head it's built for, but Arai does which is why I got it. I do know that a helmet shaped for a round head becomes painful on the forehead if it's sized to fit without wabbleing because its wider on the the sides.