General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike is stored in my garage that doesn't freeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
sonicHeart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike is stored in my garage that doesn't freeze

So basically, my bike is chillin' in the garage which doesn't freeze. In fact, it's quite comfortable (if anything chilly), but never freezes.

I've debated dropping my bike off at the dealer for storage but it seems to be a waste of money.

I'm reading that an oil change is not necessary prior to the winter slumber/storage of the bike... The bike only has 600 or so miles on it (2011 Wide Glide).. It's been in the garage now for about a month with a mostly full tank of 93 octane fuel.

My plan is to get some stabil, add it to the tank, then start up the bike for the stabil to get into the injectors etc... and let the bike run for 20 minutes or so while slowly throttling the engine in neutral.

I don't think the weather will permit an actual ride,... but, do you think this should do it for the winterization process? I'll also be covering the bike, but there is little/no condensation in the garage. Pretty sure its semi-heated by the fact the garage door from the house is kinda leaky...

Thoughts?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be good if you could take the weight off the tires but not absolutely necessary, I would throw a good cover over it(one that breathes or a sheet) put a battery tender on it and wait for spring. Some start thier bike occasionally but be careful as this can cause condesation unless you let it run for a good time. My 2 cts.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
hommes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by crackercap
It would be good if you could take the weight off the tires but not absolutely necessary, I would throw a good cover over it(one that breathes or a sheet) put a battery tender on it and wait for spring. Some start thier bike occasionally but be careful as this can cause condesation unless you let it run for a good time. My 2 cts.
This is a sad thing and I'm defineately taking the weather for granted...it was 72 degrees today and I didn't ride. After reading the above I'm for sure going out tomorrow....

Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hook the battery up to a battery tender. Better still, remove the battery from the bike and connect it to a tender.

And with only 600 miles, I'd change oil now and when you take it out for the spring.

That said, I kept my bikes in my garage through Montana winters with no bike cover, no battery tender, no Stabil, nothing. I just start them every other week or so to cook off the condensation.

They ran fine in the spring.

If I know I won't be able to run them for a month or so, then I remove the battery and hook it up.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Cheater
Advanced

There are dozens of ideas on how to winterize a bike. Here's mine: Full (FULL) tank of gas, fresh oil, battery tender for 24 hours on the first of each month, a light cover in a protective environment (garage), tires at full pressure and NEVER START IT UP till you can take it for a long ride to get it to top operating temperature for an extended period of time.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheater
There are dozens of ideas on how to winterize a bike. Here's mine: Full (FULL) tank of gas, fresh oil, battery tender for 24 hours on the first of each month, a light cover in a protective environment (garage), tires at full pressure and NEVER START IT UP till you can take it for a long ride to get it to top operating temperature for an extended period of time.
This is your best bet for great bike care!
hatch.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my bikes never get winterized.. just sit waiting on better weather..fresh gas,sta-bil and a batt tender is a good idea..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

I keep the Softail in the garage covered on a tender with Seafoam in the fuel system. Try to ride it once a month for at least 50 miles. I have been riding a 1981 Honda cm400t to work 60 miles every day since the weather turned and the deer are out. It was 29 degrees last night coming in....brrrrrrr

Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 AM
DMas
Road Master

My garage gets friggin' cold so in addition to adding Seafoam to a full tank, I jack it off the floor, cover it and yank the battery. I have the battery on a tender inside the house. I don't change the fluids til the spring and unless I can ride it for at least 20 minutes, I don't start it during the winter.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

w/600 miles on your oil - should be fine & only need to run StaBil or Seafoam through motor for ~5-min (vs. 20). Squirt few oz. of oil in each cyl & turnover. From there, I'd get tires off cement - two rug squares/remnants from home store work well (Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's), connect battery tender, make sure she's clean & cover. Wait for spring then uncover, disconnect tender & go...

Quick Reply: Bike is stored in my garage that doesn't freeze