General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
teacherman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My garage

What to do?
My garage is 15 by 24. (feet) I have a car, a Sporty, a Road King Classic due to arrive in two weeks, a table saw (two, actually), two rolling shelves, two deer hanging, and it feels suspiciously like another Kansas winter is having its way with the weather. My plan is to have two bikes on rollaround dollies, a table saw, and a car in there all at the same time.

I built this place as a stone carving studio about ten years ago. (used to make my living carving animals and mantelpieces) 11 foot ceiling, with a canoe and cartop carrier hanging from the ceiling. Dang if it doesn't feel like I am stumbling and tripping over everything whenever I try to do anything out there. What to do? I know the bikes take priority, but I have a rock climbing wall, three bicycles, two mowers, two string trimmers, and all sorts of other $h1† that really should be out of the weather without being in my living room.

What to do? If only I lived in the country. Blew my wad paying for a new RKC (gotta have priorities)

I will try to post a pic at some point when I get the place looking decent.

Basically just bitching a little bit. Anybody else feel a bit space constrained?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel your pain...I have a 12 x 24 with a car, a Sporty, and a RKC in it. Because the bikes are behind the car, I rarely drive it...less than 1k miles in the past decade. I put a double carport beside the garage and keep another vehicle and a boat in it, but still have two others parked in from of the garage/carport....I'm basically outta space. If I didn't have septic, I would have built a larger garage out back. At this point, I think I'm gonna buy one of the stick built garages they haul in on a truck and sit on the gound. A nice 12 x 28 is about 6k. I don't plan on living in this house but about 8 more years and figure I can move the garage when I sell.

Attached Thumbnails My garage-garage-2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I work out of a 12 X 24 foot shed and have another 12 X 24 for storage. Not enough room either. I ended up buying a bunch of screw in hooks and have too much crap hanging from the ceiling. I planned on eventually building 3 walls onto it so it's 24 X 24 but I don't think I'll be living here in NJ much longer. No sense blowing money on a garage addition just to sell the house in the spring.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM
ulev1st
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into getting a drive on 4 post lift..I have a "Backyard Buddy" There are many to choose from..put t he car on the lift and park the bikes underneath.. when you need the car. push the bikes out lower the car and put the bikes back in..I stack cars on mine to make room for my bike.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

5# of **** in a 3# bag never works.

Best fix is to add on , you need a dedicated wood shop ( hell I need a dedicated wood shop )

as well as a dedicated bike area.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

You guys are lucky , my garage got converted into a utility room and a office/guest room before i bought the house , all ive got for my bike is about 7`x7`, ive got racks for wine ,tools, body boards and a beer fridge +golf clubs and all manner of other stuff in there aswell , the bike only just fits , ive got a large shed/out building at the bottom of my garden but thats getting full now aswell , also the loft is filling up fast , if i want more storage ill have to sell the wife & kids

Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a standard size 2 car garage.On one side are cabinets stuffed with stuff.On the other side is a workbench,tool boxes,a steel cabinet that wont roll because it is missing a wheel and a freezer.
I have to park my wifes Camaro a Jeep and my bike which barley fits in front of the not so much used Jeep.
A three car garage would sure be nice!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by teacherman
What to do?
....Anybody else feel a bit space constrained?
Yeah...but the Mrs and kids won't leave

Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built a detached 24'x24' in 1986 so my FXSTC would be inside instead of on my patio where I parked my Hondas when I had em.

I hauled a bunch of junk off and still need to do some more cleaning.
Surprising how much junk you hang on to thinking you'll use it later.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,043 Likes on 17,931 Posts

Originally Posted by teacherman
What to do?
My garage is 15 by 24. (feet) I have a car, a Sporty, a Road King Classic due to arrive in two weeks, a table saw (two, actually), two rolling shelves, two deer hanging, and it feels suspiciously like another Kansas winter is having its way with the weather. My plan is to have two bikes on rollaround dollies, a table saw, and a car in there all at the same time.

I built this place as a stone carving studio about ten years ago. (used to make my living carving animals and mantelpieces) 11 foot ceiling, with a canoe and cartop carrier hanging from the ceiling. Dang if it doesn't feel like I am stumbling and tripping over everything whenever I try to do anything out there. What to do? I know the bikes take priority, but I have a rock climbing wall, three bicycles, two mowers, two string trimmers, and all sorts of other $h1† that really should be out of the weather without being in my living room.

What to do? If only I lived in the country. Blew my wad paying for a new RKC (gotta have priorities)

I will try to post a pic at some point when I get the place looking decent.

Basically just bitching a little bit. Anybody else feel a bit space constrained?
Think loft in one end of there . My garage ceiling is 7' at the bottom of 4"x12" cross beams and 2 1/2" x 8" T&G on top of those . The guy I bought from stored mopar blocks up there . With a little help and some bargain shopping they can be done a lot cheaper than you think . Stuff you use but only occasionally can collect spider webs over head a well under foot .

Got one to those $70 harbour freight 500lbs electric hoists and most of my storage problems are kinda cured . Have a panhead in the frame up there along with enough stuff a half dozen more bikes . Get some pictures up there some good talent in here on garages , we will get you sorted out .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-07-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: My garage