General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange County Choppers Headquarters Facing Foreclosure

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

During the "biker build off" Craze, builders like Indian Larry, Jesse James, the Martin Brothers seemed more like actual builders. OCC seemed to just put together legos so to speak. The bikes that come from OCC are ridiculous, i work for a company that has one more of a giant paper weight than anything else.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
"You are thinking of the "Old America" in today's "New America and World Order" the President of the USA seizes the company through bailouts with taxpayer money then fires the CEO...appoints his own guy and then steals the bondholders money in a rigged bankruptcy and gives it to the union...then a year later the union sells their stock and makes a nice tidy profit out of nothing...you know like GM and the UAW??"

Now there is some pure fantasy for ya.
I like this guy!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of their theme bikes are exactly alike. The only difference is all the crap they tack weld to it. They all have the same stupid V shape handle bars and use mainly the same frame. But then depending on who it's for depends on what we tack weld to it. Now the kid that does the paint, his work looks good. OCC"s public bikes are no different then Texas Choppers or Big Dogs. I would rather see Martin Brothers build a bike. Now they are different.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found the best way to watch this show is with the volume turned all the way down. I like to see the fabrication, even though most of their bikes have the same look.
IMO if the series is called "American Choppers" I feel that they should shoot the show in all different shops thoughout our country. This way we can see the different styles, and ideas kinda like the biker build offs. One shop per episode, one bike start to finish. I believe there would be many shops that would sign up for this to help get their name out.

Last edited by evil-1; 12-14-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I find the show highly entertaining. I look forward ti each episode. It's not the quality of the bike that gets me, it's the whole process. Some stuff they come up with very creative. Much of it is fluff. Doesn't matter, that's not why the show is in it's 7th year....despite everybody in the world saying their show and bikes suck.

Think about it.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I learn about wrenching on a bike, the more I recognize as "wow, that was dumb/wrong" when I bother watching.

The bikes look cool, but after seeing some of the ways they "fix" problems, I'd not buy one.
But then, they don't show the "production line" bikes, just the theme bikes. Which let's face it, they're show pieces & will almost NEVER get ridden after they're handed over.
What worries me are the ones that are slated to be raffled/auctioned off....those probably will be ridden.

As for the soap opera drama BS....All I want is to see cool bikes made. I'm all for the idea of what was suggested a bit ago: a show that goes to different shops and shows how different builders do things and make a couple bikes. Not show piece trailer queens, but real bikes built to be ridden.

That's why I liked Biker Build-off....sure they're show pieces, but before the can be voted against each other they always get "proven" by a nice long ride first. And they show you how things can/do break along the way, which you don't find out about in a little 5-mile test ride.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM
monkusbee
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit, I watch the show, but the bikes are really gaudy, and the expressions of the ceo's when seeing them are totally fake. That biker build off show is becoming my favorite bike show now.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by monkusbee
I have to admit, I watch the show, but the bikes are really gaudy, and the expressions of the ceo's when seeing them are totally fake. That biker build off show is becoming my favorite bike show now.
Reminds me of the time OCC built a chopper based on the Brough Superior for Jay Leno. When Jay was presented the bike on the Tonight Show, he did not seem too surprised. Jay sold it in a Barrett Jackson auction in 2008.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't have a lot of love for the Teutuls, but I hate to see any american company in trouble. As far as the 'theme' bikes, they're just 1-2 hours of commercial time for the sponsors and a write off for advertising. I don't think they're meant to be ridden anywhere... I also don't think it takes a ton of talent to weld/bolt/glue a bunch of crap onto a bike to call it a 'theme' bike. I suspect they're production bikes are no better or worse than any other botique manufacturer's bikes, like American Ironhorse, etc. were.

I do watch some of the shows occasionally but turn the channel when the yelling starts... hell it beats Dancing with the Stars for entertainment anyway.

As far as their personalities, I know the show is scripted to raise the drama factor, but I think it's based on exaggerated truths...

I think Sr has anger issues
I think Jr is an arrogant ungrateful son with limited talents and a swollen ego
I think Mikey has no marketable skills whatsoever and should lick his fathers boots for ever giving him some kind of meaningful employment

all of the above is JMHO... YMMV...

Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to hit the mute button whenever Sr starts flapping his gums and slaughtering the English language.

Quick Reply: Orange County Choppers Headquarters Facing Foreclosure