General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injected Idle Speed reduction consequnces; fact or urban legend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can lower the idle on a twinkie , it still won't produce the sound you are looking for. the sound went away because of efficiency went up. now if you lower the idle , cam it up and put some poor flowing heads on there, you will have a good start

Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
you can lower the idle on a twinkie , it still won't produce the sound you are looking for. the sound went away because of efficiency went up. now if you lower the idle , cam it up and put some poor flowing heads on there, you will have a good start

exactly i had an 06 dyna w tts, i changed the idle to 800 rpm and it still didnt sound as good as a carbed twincam or evo. it sounded slow and out of tune sluggish, so i sold it and bought a fantastic, great shape and great sounding evo!!!!! with a carb!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

On my carbed 99 EVO, I keep the idle set at around 7 to 800, but I have a switch on the VOES that I can switch it out of the circuit which in turn retards the timing and lowers the idle to around 400. RPM figures are just my estimates, as I don't have a tac. I get a really great potato potato sound when I do that. I have read some things from the oil experts that say when our engines are at idle they are under a no load condition, and even though they may not have much oil pressure, they have plenty of flow for the condition they are in. If you believe otherwise, as many do, I would keep your idle at the spec. in your manual. Naturally I do not switch my VOES off every time it is idling, but it is fun to do for a few seconds just to see the looks on the faces of those that I ride with. 27,000 miles with no problems so far. Your mileage may very. I am convinced it does not hurt a thing. Oh Yeah! Sound great with my drag pipes.