General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo ride gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Demo ride gone bad...

People like that are the reason why there are so many statistics on injuries and bikes. I can't tell you how many times I have seen newbie riders hop on a bike, gas it and pop the clutch, then their feet fly off the pegs and they are in panic mode, usually floundering left then right a few times looking like a big flying W in the proces before the inevitable tail slide out.

Some people just shouldn't ride....

Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

I've always wondered how many demo bikes get wrecked each year. It's hard not to play when your riding someone else's bike.
We do 3 Demo's a year (Harley, Yamaha & Honda), I just close my eyes and pray whenI see some of these folks riding. In the 21 years that I've been doing it, I believe we've had 8 bikes dumped and only one of those caused any real injury....a broken collar bone.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

I let a buddy of mine ride one of my bikes when it only had aboout 900 miles on it............
of course I was right behind him on HIS Road King............

Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
maxum96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were at a stop on a poker run last year. Some knucklehead pulls in on his Vrod and promptly starts showing off by doing a burnout. He got a standing ovation after he dumped it! Aholes like that can go out and splatter themselves with the rest of the crotch rocket kids for all I care.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to confess butI will. I hadn't owned a bike in over thirty years and last September decide to by a bike. The one in the picture below as a matter of fact. Anyway, my salesman was in a nasty crash just beforeI picked up my bike and my wife got real nervous about me riding it home from the dealership.

So after going over all the new bike info we're all standing there looking at it and I said well it's mine now so I'll tell you what. I'll take it around the lot and if it doesn't feel right I'll have it delivered and practice around the neighborhood until we're comfortable. The wife agrees and off I go. I had a "62" Sportster back in"70" and this is a bigger bike, it felt like it was 8000 lbs and 18 feet long. I was surprised how much skill came back as I rode it. I rode it around the building to a dead end and instinctively rode the rear brake making a nice tight turn and after a few minutes felt pretty good. Don't get me wrong I wasn't ready for the busy street.

I took a long way riding in and out of parking lanes and was tight not leaning enough etc. but managing. SoI pull up to the service door where the salesman and my wife are watching and as I stop he said you look pretty good maybe a little stiff. Mywife says well I was surprised you did well and I guess I'm OK with you riding it home.

I go to put the jiffy stand down and can't find it with my boot. I look and lean over to the left and the next thing I know everything is going over to the left. Yeah, I dumped in right there on the ground. Well, actually I held on to it and let it down with just a little clunk. The good news is there was no damage not even a scratch on the engine guard. Unfortunately, my left hand and groin will never be the same. (Note to self: letgo next time)

Man that was embarrassing and all I could do wasstand there and laugh at myself. They brought it to the house the next day and I took the riders safety course.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider
ORIGINAL: PSO169
That VROD is totally different from the touring bikes. I rode one 3 or 4 years ago at a HD open house. that is a fast bike. But when your used to floor boards and heel and toe shifting what a difference. I felt lost on the that bike, glad it was their's.
Jeff
I wonder if the guy bought one,after that
Probably 'bought' that one.

I've wondered about what happens if you dump one.

They'd have to be covered for loss. I know I had to leave an application, insurance policy and DL B4 i rolled out on my demo ride..

My guess is they'd hit up my insurance.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Man that would suck. I would move outta state!!